Thoughts on pit bike engines?

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by Bob Campbell, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell New Member

Hey guys,

What are your opinions on pit bike engines?

Sorry, but you need to copy and paste to your browser, I don't know how to make a proper link here.

Will this or other pit bike engines work. I like the 4 speed gear box. should make gearing a breeze! How wide are these compared to more common engines? Any other suggestions for engines to use? I've also considered Honda GX160-Gx200 engines. This site also has other options for engines if you click on "engines" on the top of the site.

I will be building my frame (Board track style) so I am not worried about fitment problems.

Bob C.

2. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

sure, go for it.

illegal in just about every country, and when you get caught, youll give us all a bad name, not that we already have a good one what with idiots that dont follow the rules... traffic lights... footpaths... registration...speed limits.... noise pollution.... how does motorising a pushy raise one above the law?

but dont let that stop you! oh no! its all about how many cc you can stuff under your butt, isnt it?

its a pushy. stick with a lil 35 or 50cc and maybe the authorities wont feel the need to ban these things altogther?
  3. Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell New Member

Wow! How do you know this isn't going to be a race bike for the race at grange? Don't know if you've noticed that there are 125 cc scooters out there. This bike could be registered like a scooter.

Do you also scold the guys building the 66/80cc bikes?

Bob C.
  4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

yep :)

you coulda said you wanted to race it and i would have suggested a lifan 140 with 7mm lift cams...

but for road use... everyday use... i stand my ground! too many idiots breaking the rules and making it hard for everyone else that doesnt!

there is a huge difference between a scooter and a pushbike with a motor. usually, design standards. or compliancy. its either a motorised bicycle, a moped, or a scooter.

a scooter has design standards, same as a moped. fail to meet them and its not classified as compliant. and using it on the road is illegal.

a motorised pushbike has fairly tight restrictions. go too far and you have a "noncompliant moped".

and once you have to go to the extent of getting rego? why bother at all?

and take the z50... thats a whole 49cc of honda power, often given to lil kids as a first bike, a toy.... but its a motorbike, and it needs to be registered to be used on the road legally.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

Do's not illegal..the crazy guy talking bad doesn't know anything. In California it is legal in Texas it's legal and just about every other state..especially when it's a fully automatic..get off his back..I'm running a pit bike engine and so is
  6. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

There are some states where you can legally ride a bicycle with an engine over 50cc on the street but I don't recall which. Unlike the Chinese 66-80cc 2 stroke engines, a pit bike engine normally has the displacement stamped on the cylinder somewhere.
    The bicycles I have seen with pit bike engines, other than the motoped, have stretch frames like the Micargi Mustang.
  7. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

California just says 2 hp or less right now. There is no mention of size of engine or cc's.

After Jan 2015 it will be 4 hp or less.

Gear shifting would not be legal.