Throttle body injection for Honda gx 50

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by Wall e, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Wall e

Wall e New Member

I want to convert a lawn mover Honda gx 50 engine frm a carburetted to TBI. Pls help. Can i use a piezo sensor to measure the cylinder pressure?

2. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

No one here has done that conversion.

Why do you want to do that conversion?
    Was your Honda GX 50 really on a lawnmower and is it a horizontal shaft model?

3. Wall e

Wall e New Member

Thanks for replying. I'm working on a project to build a vehicle using the GX 50 engine. Yes it was on a lawnmower and it is a horizontal shaft model. Is the GX 50 and the GXH 50 the same?

4. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Yes, they are the same.
    There is a vertical model too but it's pretty rare.

I have 2 Honda GXH 50cc and 1 Huasheng 50cc clone.

What kind of vehicle are you building? 2 wheel or more?

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now this is an seriously interesting thread: anyone who's making an electronic fuel injection system (be it 4-stroke or 2-stroke) gets my undivided attention and i want to see the results and the build process and what type of fuel injection method is used.

Electronic Fuel Injection - bring it on!

6. Silvaire

Silvaire Member

The smallest commercially produced fuel injected engine is the Subaru Robin 7 HP "EX21 Fuel Injection".

I can't find it now, but I remember reading a press release on this engine when it was in development. It was rather complex, requiring an electrical power source, a micro processor, numerous sensors, a pump, a throttle body injector, etc, etc.

Regardless of the number of cylinders, for an electronic fuel injection system, you still have to have "one of each" of all the basic components.

I think that to build and market a commercially viable (i.e. "cheap enough") small single cylinder fuel injected engine is quite an achievement for Subaru Robin. As of yet, I don't know of any other small engine manufacturers who have followed them into this market.

7. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Honda 50cc metros are FI.

8. Silvaire

Silvaire Member

Darwin,

Thanks for pointing that out - I was unaware of the Honda Metro FI system.

The smallest "stand alone" engine I know of is the 7 HP Subaru - perhaps there are others now?

I would think that examining the Honda scooter FI system would be a good place to begin if I wanted to FI a Honda GXH 50. I can't imagine that the components from the scooter would be cheap enough to purchase outright to convert a GXH 50, but seeing how they went about it would certainly seem worthwhile.

9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the honda 50 FI setup myself, bet its a simple one considering the metro 50s cost. It is the low end of the honda scooter lineup.

11. Silvaire

Silvaire Member

Between emissions and fuel economy, it looks like fuel injection will likely be the future for all internal combustion engines - regardless of size.

Not a bad thing though, and I'd certainly never want to go back to carburation in my cars and truck. It is a major bummer when you brake down many miles from help and have minimal diagnostic equipment and no access to parts. From experience, I now take a small box that contains a spare already programmed ECU, every sensor and every ignition part with me when I head out to the back country. We have a Pick-N-Pull wrecking yard in the area, and as such the prices for these parts used isn't too bad.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  12. Wall e

Wall e New Member

I want to build a four wheeler. Still working on the fi system. Finalizing the sensors. Also planning to build a small dyno to test the engine. Has anyone of you tried something like that?

13. Wall e

Wall e New Member

Thanks for the information. Mass production would mean comparitively easier availability of parts for converting a small engine to efi.:cool:

14. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

15. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

MBE Motorsports inc. has released the world's first small engine EFI conversion kit. This EFI kit can convert any small engine to Electronic fuel injection. It has great advantage over the carburetor system, it will increase power acceleration and reduce fuel consumption. http://www.mbe-motorsports.com

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015