Ultracaps may be the future Battery!

we seem the only folk here anyhoo so hang the self indulgence :)

another wacky idea?

howzabout instead of wasteful springs and shocks, bumps are absorbed by a smart (extremely fast, variable and strong magentic force to resist/moderate the bump appropriately, spring like oscillations make power also of course) linear generator and the power surges flashed into a Capacitor.

or as if a shock absorber mob made a purely magnetic automotive shock absorber unit, with output contacts and sensor inputs, or something resembling the front suspension forks of a mountain bicycle.

Not a power source of course, but recovers some waste energy.

re the "prius", lets not forget, a little waste heat isnt all bad in colder climates. heating from batteries is a b**ch. warm seats maybe, but space heating in a Leaf??

not wacky. i thought of doing it several years ago... at least, the idea of magnetic damping systems. lenzs law. the old science trick of dropping a magnet down a conductive pipe, and it falls rather slowly, as the moving magnetic field creates a current in the tubes walls, that creates an opposing magnetic field that slows the rate of descent. the stronger the magnet, the more conductive the tube (thicker walls usually) the tighter the clearance between magnet and tube, the stronger the effect is.

unfortunately, i did the google search the other day, and of course...i dont go to MIT, i dont have funding, i havent made anything... just theorized.

there was no result a few years ago. things have changed.

the product is now being manufactured i believe... magnetic dampers.

perfect for suspension systems, with all this wizzbang computer control. instantaneous changes to damping characteristics, no worry about little servo valves controlling the flow of oil and their reaction times.. just apply current and vary it as required.

not a generator...just a suspension dampening unit. could work but the logistics of switching between activated and regenerative would be a nightmare at the speed they operate.

you still need springs, regardless.

should really try and machine a prototype up, with neo magnets to replace the leaky, sub par oil dampers on my motorbike...

i should have gone to uni. or found a sugar mumma or something.

other people seem to get funding , lots of it, for silly ideas yet i cant get it for sensible ones.

yes, admittedly, a warm cabin can be a boon... im used to a moto, so i dont have such luxury!

seriously, cars shouldnt have any doodads but whats required to drive them... too many distractions, too many creature comforts...too many accidents!

people used to have to DRIVE back before power steering and so forth. nowadays...

i reckon people that purchase those self parking cars should have their license automatically cancelled for doing so... if you cant park...you shouldnt be driving!

gimme a datto 120Y with rattly bits and a hole in the muffler any day :)

bluetooth connectivity? inbuilt gps navigation? huh? wha? keep ya bleeding eyes on the ROAD!

I think the best role of capacitors will be short bursts for acceleration, hill climbing and headwinds.
_The capacitors will recharge far quicker than batterys, by regen braking, but will discharge quickly.
The capacitors will be the turbocharger on your e-bike or gas bike.

not wacky. i thought of doing it several years ago... at least, the idea of magnetic damping systems. lenzs law. the old science trick of dropping a magnet down a conductive pipe, and it falls rather slowly, as the moving magnetic field creates a current in the tubes walls, that creates an opposing magnetic field that slows the rate of descent. the stronger the magnet, the more conductive the tube (thicker walls usually) the tighter the clearance between magnet and tube, the stronger the effect is.

unfortunately, i did the google search the other day, and of course...i dont go to MIT, i dont have funding, i havent made anything... just theorized.

there was no result a few years ago. things have changed.

the product is now being manufactured i believe... magnetic dampers.

perfect for suspension systems, with all this wizzbang computer control. instantaneous changes to damping characteristics, no worry about little servo valves controlling the flow of oil and their reaction times.. just apply current and vary it as required.

not a generator...just a suspension dampening unit. could work but the logistics of switching between activated and regenerative would be a nightmare at the speed they operate.

you still need springs, regardless.

should really try and machine a prototype up, with neo magnets to replace the leaky, sub par oil dampers on my motorbike...

i should have gone to uni. or found a sugar mumma or something.

other people seem to get funding , lots of it, for silly ideas yet i cant get it for sensible ones.

yes, admittedly, a warm cabin can be a boon... im used to a moto, so i dont have such luxury!

seriously, cars shouldnt have any doodads but whats required to drive them... too many distractions, too many creature comforts...too many accidents!

people used to have to DRIVE back before power steering and so forth. nowadays...

i reckon people that purchase those self parking cars should have their license automatically cancelled for doing so... if you cant park...you shouldnt be driving!

gimme a datto 120Y with rattly bits and a hole in the muffler any day :)

bluetooth connectivity? inbuilt gps navigation? huh? wha? keep ya bleeding eyes on the ROAD!

Oh well. its fun to speculate. In my time i have often been prescient about such stuff. Its satisfying to anonymously pat yourself on the back when others make it a reality.

There is romance in this current era. I really dont think folk have adjusted to the paradigm shift all this avalanche of new stuff creates.

2 points

a/

a related & possibly ~original idea i think damn good but all think me mad is:
the reverse of the one discussed

a simple analogy is a cyclist hitting a speed hump. a competent rider isnt slowed at all. he does a little shop by shifting his weight and glides over.

The minimalism of cycling power available has made me sensitive to the fact that more than anything~, bumps slow you down.

So, using sensors and smarts, a capacitor powered electromagnet could pulse appropriate hops on appropriate wheels - slightly shift weight off the about to be slammed wheel, to a rear wheel on smooth track.

a blatant example, to me, is rail lines. The noise of freight or even passenger trains slamming into the tiny cracks in rail joins (pretty inevitable as expansion joints?) is deafening for blocks. Cant be good or cost free?

Even lower hanging fruit I feel, are rail junctions - points?. Trains seem to have to crawl thru them, presumably for the above reasons only more extreme. Faster switching of trains would be great for peak times.

It doesnt sound expensive. Magnets placed at precise distances from gaps could alert the modded bogey to initiate a precise jiggle in the springs to rock it so weight was shifted back while the front jumps the crack and is taking more weight when the rear wheel is over the crack.

b/
you touch on that slagging off modern modern lounge room cars.

EVs can transport folk fine, in "tuk tuk" mode, or like the lean and mean jaloppys they use in india etc.. A very light 4 seater glf buggy cobbled together from variants on mass produced, state of the art, e/bicycle componentry, - should be doable at 80kg (the weight of 3 MTBs) and $2k mail order from china.

To get the same power to weight ratio i am happy with on my 350w mid-drive ebike with 4 x 75kg passengers like me, i need:

(given 300kg load

80kg car = 380kg

vs

28kg bike (inc battery 3kg) / 75kg me =103kg)

so i now have about 10watts per kilo for an hours running at full power of 350watts on my 10am 36v battery

for the car weight, ex batteries, I need 3.8kwh batteries, or say 38 100 amp lifepo4 pouch cells at i guess 2.5kg each. which is 100kg of batteries., which means, with battery weight, i need 4.8kw which means i need 120kg of batteries.

total ev equivalent to my great bike, 500kg.

Still not great but way leaner than alternatives

A better example would be a tricycle for 3. methinks 50 kg for the bike, 225 kg for the folks = 2750 watts at 10w per kg, so 65kg batteries for 340kg which in turn requires 3400kw or 85kg of batteries an extra 20kg of batteries to propell the batteries :) - total loaded vehicle weight 360kg

but no, an EV has to be something at which it is bound to fail. a vehicle which has evolved in a paradigm where 85% of the fuel is wasted but is almost free. annual insurance costs more than fuel historically. Our evs must be copies of what we were able to get away with in a la la land which cannot and must not continue.

i am a non obese 6 foot guy & weigh 75kg. a conservative car is 1800 kg (24x my weight), the smallest 1000kg - none of which is even pushable at all by a man really.

just saying, what I use is a 28kg (~35% of my weight) ebike and i prefer it for my (retired with dog) needs, now I am used to its very different strengths and weaknesses in my millieu. I hate using my old but good car. its big but i dont use it much.

Its the regulators as much as anything. they will make roadworthiness depend on crash tests that require a tonne of protective stuff.

There are many parallels to the early car industry now, but the regulators would allow a model T today.

Tellingly, most factory ebikes come with no: lights, indicators, security, storage, rack, horn, electrical accessory loom generally,... These are very basic things, absent. As it was for the model T sorta. A starter was an accessory u got on ebay later.

in short, battery evs cannot serve as what we have come to expect of a car, as things stand

a niche? (perhaps not, most delivery vehicles spend much time stationary) that has been forgotten is the guy who can live with just having a charger running while driving. he will run flat eventually in some situations, but mostly not, or it can be worked around. Most days he commutes on plug in, odd days he fires up a lawn mower engine the provides constant ~20% of max power specs. to supplement/charge battery, which will probably last as long as he can in a days driving. A 25cc petrol motor weighs about 2kg and is 2kw methinks, enough for a 10kw lifepo4 battery (tho they can charge faster under some circumstances, but double that and its still only a 50cc).

Oh well. its fun to speculate. In my time i have often been prescient about such stuff. Its satisfying to anonymously pat yourself on the back when others make it a reality.

There is romance in this current era. I really dont think folk have adjusted to the paradigm shift all this avalanche of new stuff creates.

2 points

a/

a related & possibly ~original idea i think damn good but all think me mad is:
the reverse of the one discussed

a simple analogy is a cyclist hitting a speed hump. a competent rider isnt slowed at all. he does a little shop by shifting his weight and glides over.

The minimalism of cycling power available has made me sensitive to the fact that more than anything~, bumps slow you down.

So, using sensors and smarts, a capacitor powered electromagnet could pulse appropriate hops on appropriate wheels - slightly shift weight off the about to be slammed wheel, to a rear wheel on smooth track.

a blatant example, to me, is rail lines. The noise of freight or even passenger trains slamming into the tiny cracks in rail joins (pretty inevitable as expansion joints?) is deafening for blocks. Cant be good or cost free?

Even lower hanging fruit I feel, are rail junctions - points?. Trains seem to have to crawl thru them, presumably for the above reasons only more extreme. Faster switching of trains would be great for peak times.

It doesnt sound expensive. Magnets placed at precise distances from gaps could alert the modded bogey to initiate a precise jiggle in the springs to rock it so weight was shifted back while the front jumps the crack and is taking more weight when the rear wheel is over the crack.

b/
you touch on that slagging off modern modern lounge room cars.

EVs can transport folk fine, in "tuk tuk" mode, or like the lean and mean jaloppys they use in india etc.. A very light 4 seater glf buggy cobbled together from variants on mass produced, state of the art, e/bicycle componentry, - should be doable at 80kg (the weight of 3 MTBs) and $2k mail order from china.

To get the same power to weight ratio i am happy with on my 350w mid-drive ebike with 4 x 75kg passengers like me, i need:

(given 300kg load

80kg car = 380kg

vs

28kg bike (inc battery 3kg) / 75kg me =103kg)

so i now have about 10watts per kilo for an hours running at full power of 350watts on my 10am 36v battery

for the car weight, ex batteries, I need 3.8kwh batteries, or say 38 100 amp lifepo4 pouch cells at i guess 2.5kg each. which is 100kg of batteries., which means, with battery weight, i need 4.8kw which means i need 120kg of batteries.

total ev equivalent to my great bike, 500kg.

EDIT

BIG MISCALCULATION

3.8kwh is not 38 x 100 ah cells. each cell is about .33 kwh, so its more like 12, for a weight of 30kg. much better

the tricycle example requires about 8 cells for a total battery weight of 20kg

END OF CORRECTION

Still not great but way leaner than alternatives

A better example would be a tricycle for 3. methinks 50 kg for the bike, 225 kg for the folks = 2750 watts at 10w per kg, so 65kg batteries for 340kg which in turn requires 3400kw or 85kg of batteries an extra 20kg of batteries to propell the batteries :) - total loaded vehicle weight 360kg

but no, an EV has to be something at which it is bound to fail. a vehicle which has evolved in a paradigm where 85% of the fuel is wasted but is almost free. annual insurance costs more than fuel historically. Our evs must be copies of what we were able to get away with in a la la land which cannot and must not continue.

i am a non obese 6 foot guy & weigh 75kg. a conservative car is 1800 kg (24x my weight), the smallest 1000kg - none of which is even pushable at all by a man really.

just saying, what I use is a 28kg (~35% of my weight) ebike and i prefer it for my (retired with dog) needs, now I am used to its very different strengths and weaknesses in my millieu. I hate using my old but good car. its big but i dont use it much.

Its the regulators as much as anything. they will make roadworthiness depend on crash tests that require a tonne of protective stuff.

There are many parallels to the early car industry now, but the regulators would allow a model T today.

Tellingly, most factory ebikes come with no: lights, indicators, security, storage, rack, horn, electrical accessory loom generally,... These are very basic things, absent. As it was for the model T sorta. A starter was an accessory u got on ebay later.

in short, battery evs cannot serve as what we have come to expect of a car, as things stand

a niche? (perhaps not, most delivery vehicles spend much time stationary) that has been forgotten is the guy who can live with just having a charger running while driving. he will run flat eventually in some situations, but mostly not, or it can be worked around. Most days he commutes on plug in, odd days he fires up a lawn mower engine the provides constant ~20% of max power specs. to supplement/charge battery, which will probably last as long as he can in a days driving. A 25cc petrol motor weighs about 2kg and is 2kw methinks, enough for a 10kw lifepo4 battery (tho they can charge faster under some circumstances, but double that and its still only a 50cc).

Back