What is your top speed with "80cc" HT Kit (With stock gears)?

30.1mph swhinn speedo 44thooth wot engine screaming i would like to try 40 thooth or 36 to go a little faster and save motor from blowing every where i go is a 20 to 40 mile ride good luck with it

I think some of the vibration on my bike is from the off road tires:unsure:

My Dax "80" went about 28 MPH before sounding "rattly" due to RPM's....I switched to a higher gear (smaller rear sprocket) and now it cruises fast at a reasonable RPM....New top Speed is 34 BUT it screams there so I hold it to about 27 MPH at cruise...

Andrew

My Dax "80" went about 28 MPH before sounding "rattly" due to RPM's....I switched to a higher gear (smaller rear sprocket) and now it cruises fast at a reasonable RPM....New top Speed is 34 BUT it screams there so I hold it to about 27 MPH at cruise...

Andrew

I get very rattly at 25mph so I generally "cruise" at lower speeds (23ish - as read by my digi wireless speedo). Top speed is like 28 or 29 but I have never kept it "floor'd long enough to know. I think I spent a good hour on my bike today. Was a great day buzzing around. Was working on a house on the other end of town and a ride there, back home (needed a router), there again, home again.... I think I could go with a smaller gear as most traffic is 25 - 30. What size sprocket did you switch to. Was 40 enough and did you loose much power?

All-in-all, I like my current speed so changing anything is debatable

Last edited:
Wow Bootlegger; sure sounds like you've been having a bit of trouble with that thing ( no disrespect ) I've never experienced vibration with mine, I'm just on 2000 Ks. As far as studs and threads go I've swapt all mine with stainless steel ones from my local engineering firm, much better fit, tighter tolerances. I've also had to jiggle with that float needle thing, I reacon it's the forks, I've bent mine down a bit to increase the force on it and drilled out all the metal fuel delivery components to increase flow, seems to work for me. By the way my engine seems to be perfectly ballanced. I got my motor from a guy who imports them from Australia. These engines are made at the Jangsu university in some province in northern China as part of a university project. Although these engines my look alike there is a vast difference between their manufactures.

Don't give give up on it they are after all a lot of fun. I've had mine up to 57.4KPH thats about 35.9 MPH and she was just singing, but thats with quite a bit of tuning though. If I ever want to go faster than that I'll do it on a motor cycle, bikes ain't ment to go that fast.

Regards Fourfeathers.

Last edited:
Hi Fourfeathers. Dont worry Im not giving up just yet. Yesterday the frame broke in two again.

Today I replaced the broken bike frame with hopefully a better one. I custom made a front rubber mount and also put a piece of rubber between the flat surface of the motor and the main mount to the frame.

Its running fine again but stupid me was fiddling around with the bike and wasnt watching what I was doing. I rode straight into one of the white steel marker posts on the side of the road. I went straight over the handle bars landing on my back. My leg got caught on the post as I went over tearing my jeans from one knee to the other.

I now have a 6 inch gash on my inner thigh, a sore knee and my back is aching.

I still consider myself lucky. If that gash was any deeper I would have cut an artery.

Last edited:
26" Scwhinn del mar cruiser
48cc dualstart dualclutch starfire gt-2 grubee gasbike.net
44t sprocket
black cat muffler
top speed 35mph

Four feathers. Ive forgotten about my sore leg and Ive already got a 2 year old so it doesnt matter if my dangly bits get damaged. I think Ive hurt a couple of ribs though. Ive been in pain all day.
Today I fitted a new performance carb and a 36 tooth sprocket. It doesnt seem to be any faster but is definetly smoother and more responsive. Ill give it a good run tommorrow. If its good after that Ill leave it alone and start working on one of my other projects. I race hydroplanes and need to get ready for a race in mid July.

Hey Bootlegger; I've a 17 year old daughter and I'm getting on in years myself but I still enjoy my dangly bit. Just started a project converting an old 4 stroke Villiers 1 gallon petrol tank to put on the back of my bike, plan to do some long rides in the somer. Good luck with the hydroplain.

Old petrol heads never die they just loose their cubic centimeters.

Back