What to buy - seeking for advise

I have an aluminum frame Hybrid 21-speed (Trek) with a Honda GXH50cc driving a Staton inside drive gear box mounted behind the seat as seen in the photos above. It also sports the HD clutch assembly. Only I built my own mounting hardware instead of using the provided parts. It's a really nice set up if you de-govern the engine after the break-in procedure. I remounted the fuel tank over the gear box to lower the profile. I made careful not to mount it lower than the carb fuel inlet, to maintain proper gravity fuel feed to the float chamber on the carb. Looks cool. It has been reliable in my case since the beginning. I would say the Staton offerings are pretty good. It lives up to my expectations to the point I now have to consider a braking system upgrade.
The only real work to perform is regular spoke adjustments (2 to 5 usually loosen up a tad) after each run and a drive chain tension-check and adjust. I Loc-Tited all the bolts during assembly along with installing Heli-Coils into the tapped holes that were drilled for the installation procedure. So everything has seemed to remained tight so far.

Can you place photo of your bicycle?

Can you place a photo of your bicycle?
Do you have standard or reinforced spokes and rim?

I have limited time but I will try to get something together if it will assist you, I promise.

There is no system out there that is heavier than Staton plus Nuvinci. That would be around 30lbs total.

Staton is nice and Nuvinci is nice but weight wise its not the way to go. GEBE is light....about 12-14 LBS total.

Except for the "true freewheeling" requirement.....I'd go with Staton (and DID) for this reason alone....unless you feel like pedaling less than 8mph or removing the belt each time you plan on pedaling.

Warner

thanks a lot for all of your opinions.
If anybody can share opinions concerning nuvinci hub it works when peddaling and using the engine I would be greatfull.

I don't know where to find opinion concernig it

Tom

Given your requirement to disengage the engine and pedal home, you want to keep your bike as light as possible. The Golden Eagle Bike Engines (GEBE) kit is about as light as you will find. I have the Tanaka 32 kit, and it added about 14lbs to my bike. You can really feel the extra weight. Adding Adding another 15 or more pounds with the gear drive and Nuvinci hub will have you working way too hard, and it will take the fun out of it. You might even give up and just motor home.

Disengaging the belt on a GEBE kit takes about 30 seconds. You can secure the belt out of the way easily and you will have no drag at all.

The kit is pretty easy to install, it's reliable, and the Tanaka 32cc or Robin 35cc kits are very quiet. My Tanaka 32 does 30mph (48kph) easily.

Golden Eagle Bike Engines

As for the weight, the bike by itself is relatively heavy and the motor adds about 15lbs. Total about 45lbs.

-Mike

Mike, I think you may be under estimating the weight of your MB a bit.

Your Schwinn most likely weighs 45 lbs. all on its own. The motor and everything else will about about 20 lbs. All in all, you are looking at 65 lbs. at least

Mike, I think you may be under estimating the weight of your MB a bit.

Your Schwinn most likely weighs 45 lbs. all on its own. The motor and everything else will about about 20 lbs. All in all, you are looking at 65 lbs. at least

I'd say that's a more accurate guess. The bike had a shipping weight of 41lbs, with the box. Minus the box, add engine and gear box...pretty close to 60-65lb. I just put a friction drive with a R/S 35cc engine on a Specialized hybrid frame. Wow! really handles like a sports car in comparison.
Mike

Back