What's he building in there?

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by uncle_punk13, Jun 24, 2009.

1. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

So I just spent the last three days living in my shop, sleeping on the floor for a few hours, and then back up and working like a machine on the Addams Flyer. Here's the deal with that-
    I am building this bike to be entered in an art show at a steampunk convention. Since I used the Tanaka 40 on my black sunshine, I am using an R/S 35 gebe on this- For the art show I am calling it a 'Preambulatory Velocipede' for fitting into the genre. I have a long way to go with this but it is finally starting to look like something... One of the details I am really happy with is the metal flake and lace paintwork at the headtube/gussets- I have never tried to do flake and lace paint before and it exceeded my expectations. Sure it's not perfect, but the process worked and I know the more I do the better I'll get at it.
    I had my interview and viewing of the project with two of the committee members and have been accepted into the show! Here is a little photo essay.
    Thanks for letting me express this, I am so excited about this that I was about to burst.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I'd guess you will paint the yellow cover on the R/S to match??

The more you ride with these engines, the more fond you get, decibel wise.

3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Neat idea modding the tank to see fuel level....do u know yet if it worked as expected?
  4. stude13

stude13 Active Member

chantilly lace and a cool gas tank. it does look very velocipedy. go punk go. mitch
  5. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Hey thanks fellas!
    I'm flying out for Tennessee tomorrow for a few days, but when I get back I'll be going like heck again on this.
    The detail bits are the killer on this, all the fine little "fiddly bits' and having everything plated- Brass Chrome, Copper... It's almost a nightmare, but it's so much fun to put my art background into action that I forget the stress of a project of this magnitude. I'm almost considering putting an N.F.S. tag on it, but If someone bids my minimum,(or with any luck it goes to auction) I'll sell it. Thius really isn't about the money though, it is about the build, and also about the exposure- the opportunity to show my creative side to others... I'll keep y'all posted if yer interested.
  6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

I enjoyed seeing this project come to life for you
    nice looking MB
    I like the lace work
    kind of took me back many years
    to when we used to paint frames
    our favorite was a smoke streak job
    usually painted with a silver base coat
    then with candles we -- briefly bring them close to frame
    a streak of black smoke then goes around and is seen on frame
    then sealed in with clear...
    people thought those were great back then
    haven't seen one in years

7. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Well I ended up driving back from tennessee- 3000 miles, in a minivan with my future, her son and a dachshund. What a great trip! Anyway, was working on some brackets, and hubs yesterday... So the project continues. The reproduction of the 1895 chainring is to be in process next week. It's a-comin' along... pics to come.

Attached Files:

8. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Dude..... have you been working out??

cool scoot, you're building....btw !!
  9. azbill

azbill Active Member

thats what you look like under your street clothes !!!:cool2:
    cool build there Rif :)
  10. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Happy B'day you old ****.

Only 40? From the sound of your musical tastes, I woulda thought you were 60 !! Ramones in Rocking Chairs.

Hey, got some smuggled Almond Champagne I'm trying to get out of the veggie drawer ASAP, tonight I'll aim the stopper at the moon and chug to your rapid downhillish health.
  11. augidog

augidog Banned

found this a bit too late, posted in "general"...HB, buddy...notice "over the hill" is the theme of the day?
  12. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

over the hill and stuff

Hey thanks you guys!!! I am so Happy to have finally made it out of my 30's I can't stand it! 40 is when life really kicks in and I aim to get started right straight away! I'm starting it out right by going to be with my fiance for a day of wrenching- doing some tuning up on the ol' Caravan, then she's cooking me a special birthday dinner tonight- with some Cabernet Soviegn (?) (pardon that, I'm new to the whole wine thing...). Should be GREAT! As for the bike (to bring this back on topic) I'm waiting for the repro chainring, and some funding is coming through next week so I can get back to work on it! the paintwork on the frame is nearly done, and I can really get to town on the other bits. I scrounged up some prewar )1920's/early 1930's fender braces and am excited to get started on reproducing those with a bit of a fanciful twist... Anyway, I'm outta here talk to you soon, and thanks again everyone, all y'all are the best bunch of fellas a guy could have the pleasure to know!!!
  13. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Shoot, Flash; shoot, flash; shoot flash; Cure, wet sand. Repeat... This is the tedious part of the process- Paint work kinda sucks, but the results of taking the time to do proper prep and finish are worth the trouble... Getting close to shooting final base coats, then send the frame off for gold/cream pinstriping, and then the tedium begins anew with the clear... Once the frame is done with paint I'll wrap it (bubble wrap for protection), shelve it, and forget about it while doing the other Parts and Pieces...
  14. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

The Art show results...

With an unfinished piece.
    The plater held up my parts past the date of the show, so, two days prior, in a leaky drafty old barn I tore apart a bunch of other bikes (including my beloved 'Black Sunshine'), refurbished and polished old parts- re-fabbed a few parts, and, assembled this bike in order to make it semi presentable. you saw the in process shots earlier in this thread, here's a few shots of it almost ready for the show, with out all the proper brass, copper, and chrome plated parts, and a few bits still off.
    Also shown is the "period" advertisement I created and displayed with the bike. :cool: The ad is actually an old, period (edwardian) Indian ad that I modified with slogans and phrases taken from other period motoredbike and motorcycle ads
    BTW- the result of the show being that not only was it a hit, but it was the star of the show with it's display being set-up not only in the center ring spotlight but also as a draw to bring people in to the show! I was enthusiastically invited to bring my pieces to next year's show! Next year, when it's finished, and displayed with the companion bike, we'll see what is what...
    Golley jeepers I do love this fledgling motorsport!!!
    Thanks all!

Attached Files:

15. augidog

augidog Banned

was just beginning to wonder 'bout this one

you and me both buddy :D

what a marvelous contraption :cool2:
  16. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

that's really cool! I especially like the lamps, all the hand-made parts & the little twisted bits.

Congrats on the show & the invite to return & show your craft!!
  17. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

18. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Thanks fellas! Once I get it completed with proper wheels and parts, I'll give ya the final pic. of nearly a year's worth of bloodied knuckles, frustrated screams, and joyous tears in this piece of work all having been worth it and come to fruition...
  19. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Great ad flyer too. Hygenic saddle :eek: Maybe that's my problem. :devilish:
  20. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

ibennyac...quit riding that thing naked