Where do you ride? (road, side of road etc.)

road travel

the town i live in is bike-friendly. i always wear my helmet, florescent vest and i stay in the bike lane. same at night. my bike is also lit up like a xmas tree. i always ride with the traffic. i ride at about 20-25 mph. and oooooooh yes....i have lots of throttle left if i need to use. in other words, i try to keep myself as safe as possible. i ride it everyday to and from work. -rgd48-

I ride in the middle of the road, and on the sidewalk.
luckily there are no cars or pedestrians where i live.

I rode just behind a "chronic" (ice addict) on a motorized bike on the highway two days ago. He was on the edge of the road. When the road narrowed to cross a short bridge, he was in a tough situation. I could tell that his HT engine and pipe were brand new. He also had a large single sprocket. There was no way he could keep up with the flow of traffic, and we were going 30mph. I know that road; he should've crossed the highway and rode across the bridge on the sidewalk, then continue on the sidewalk.

If that was me on my MB, I would've been in the middle of the road, keeping up with traffic.

Ya gotta know the road, and how traffic flows there.

I ride just to the side of the white line, right where I ride my regular bike. I don't like it when those huge grain trucks pass me. It just scares me...

I ride just to the side of the white line, right where I ride my regular bike. I don't like it when those huge grain trucks pass me. It just scares me...
Your logic seems faulty to me.

When I'm to the right of the line, people DO pass me (with or without oncoming traffic).
When I'm in the middle of the lane, they DON'T pass until there's no oncoming traffic.

I'll take the latter ANY day!!

Last edited:
Your logic seems faulty to me.

When I'm to the right of the line, people DO pass me (with or without oncoming traffic).
When I'm in the middle of the line, they DON'T pass until there's no oncoming traffic.

I'll take the latter ANY day!!

I get what you're saying, but here, even if I AM in the middle of the road, they still pass me. When I'm off to the side, I can get on the shoulder when they come and let them pass me without actually passing me. Do you get what I mean?

I ride in the middle of the lane but on service roads and 2 lanes, I pull over to shoulders and wide spots when possible to let people pass, else they drive menacingly and "pass" anyway, knocking me off the road or hitting me with mirrors. Last week someone passed me in a 1 lane construction zone on service road of the Highway 30, and they hit a Schnieder egg, then slammed their brakes and turned right on a residential street without using any blinker. People in TX either drive really friendly (maybe they have bikes) or drive like drug fueled maniacs who think you deserve to die for riding a bike on "their" road. I'm one of the nice drivers, even when I'm driving an 18 wheeler.

Where I live there are too many drivers that will get dangerously spiteful. Then there are the ones that just are not that skillful with the cars and carelessly cut you off. 90% of the drivers are respectful but that 10% factor are the ones that will injure or kill you. I don't ride with the idea of I have a right to be here by taking a lane.

Invisable

I ride wherever it's safe to do so. BUT, I do have one rule I ALWAY'S follow. I am INVISABLE. No one driving a motor vehicle of any kind can see me. They will ALWAY'S turn left in front of me. They will ALWAY'S pull out of driveway's and try to kill me. They will ALWAY'S get too close to me in a bike lane or use a bike lane as their's and run me over.
I try to watch and anticipate what a cage MAY DO and prepare for it, because if they can, They will. And, YOU LOSE :sick:.

True, Big Red. I give a nice all-five-fingers wave to people who pass in the whole other lane. I do nothing to the rude people, because there isn't much you can do.

I like riding on one country highway here that has a wide, well-marked shoulder (almost wide as a lane!). It is pretty good for biking bc. there are few intersections and no lights for almost 20 miles, and usually not too much glass between the liquor store and town.

I saw a mailbox that was obviously run over by a car or truck though. The post was knocked over flat and scraped up, and the box was crumpled and mashed, laying a short distance away. Probably someone stopped or slowed to turn, and impatient driver roared around on the shoulder to pass, mashing the box. Nowhere is safe!

Back