Which would be the best learning experience for going into transportation design?

Parah_Salin

Local time
12:38 AM
OK, this is probably a weird question, but next year I am going to go to college to study either transportation design, or if where I get in dosn't have that, industrial design, and then do a year of grad school specifically in transportation design.

Now, I'll probably get in somehwere, but since my dream/goal is to build/design bikes, I should probably get started with something.

So what I am wondering: what would be a better learning expierience for an aspiring motorcycle designer: fixing up an old, not working, but mostly complete motorcycle, or building almost completely from scratch a smaller, simpler motorized bike?

Whichever you choose, be aware that experience channelizes thinking. Designers really should have hands on practical knowledge of actually building their devices - don't know if you understand how many angry mechanics have cursed designers and engineers over the years for designing things essentially impossible to work on.

If your desire is to focus on innovation, I'd say design and build from scratch. If refinement and improvement are your focus, rebuild an existing rig.

Hmmm...considering that it is mostly unfamilar territory for me, I think having a baseline to work from would be a good idea.

What 3D modeling/sketching software are you familiar with?

Google SketchUp is a very capable, very well supported, easily learned package with a wonderful cost - it is free from Google.

I got into bicycle design about a year ago out of frustration - no one builds what I want. SketchUp has been invaluable in realizing my ideas.

Back