Whizzer Engine Mounting

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Traveler, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Traveler

Traveler Member

I have an H series engine mounted on an old Columbia bike. The engine seems to be shifted too far to the left, because the pedal crank is hitting the belt guard. I am attaching two photos. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. rjs5700

rjs5700 Member

That is a very common problem. The best solution I have found is to heat and bend the crank on both sides enough to give plenty of clearance.

Attached Files:

3. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Another option is to go with a shorter crank. I had to do that with one of my builds. The standard size is 6 1/2", but I needed a 5 1/2" to clear the bottom of the drive cover. I ordered mine through BikeWorldUSA.com.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. Whizzer crank

You could also just buy a one piece Whizzer crank. They are wider.

5. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Whizzer is out of the wider one peice pedal cranks.

I have been using a slightly shorter crank [1" shorter] and installing pedal extensions which we had made for our dealers.

Have fun,

6. Traveler

Traveler Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will probably go with the shorter crank.

7. Traveler

Traveler Member

Engine position vertically

Attached is a photo of the engine mounting on my project. The rear belt is pretty tight. Does it look like the engine is mounted too high?

Attached Files:

8. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

The engine placement looks fine but you have way too much slack in the pedal chain.

Jim

9. Traveler

Traveler Member

Thanks. I am aware of the slack in the chain. That is my next thing to fix.

10. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Traveler,

Might I suggest moving the exhaust pipe forward where it is attached to the frame. The reason I mention this is to round the pipe as it leaves the exhaust manifold to remove the stress from the junction where the pipe enters the manifold. I will enclude a photo of my 1950 Schwinn Panther with the same exhaust setup. The photo will also show you have your motor mounted correctly.

Your Whizzer is looking good!

Have fun,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  11. Traveler

Traveler Member

Thanks Quenton. I'll make the adjustment to the pipe. I haven't attempted to run the engine yet, but everything is hooked up and it should run. I may have to send the cylendar to you this winter for some rework.