Whizzer Engine Mounting

Traveler

Local time
5:27 AM
I have an H series engine mounted on an old Columbia bike. The engine seems to be shifted too far to the left, because the pedal crank is hitting the belt guard. I am attaching two photos. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• Left_1.jpg
    Left_1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 760
  • Left_2.jpg
    Left_2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 573
That is a very common problem. The best solution I have found is to heat and bend the crank on both sides enough to give plenty of clearance.

Attachments

• 100_1073.jpg
    100_1073.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 520
Another option is to go with a shorter crank. I had to do that with one of my builds. The standard size is 6 1/2", but I needed a 5 1/2" to clear the bottom of the drive cover. I ordered mine through BikeWorldUSA.com.

Last edited:
Whizzer crank

You could also just buy a one piece Whizzer crank. They are wider.

Whizzer is out of the wider one peice pedal cranks.

I have been using a slightly shorter crank [1" shorter] and installing pedal extensions which we had made for our dealers.

Have fun,

Engine position vertically

Attached is a photo of the engine mounting on my project. The rear belt is pretty tight. Does it look like the engine is mounted too high?

Attachments

• Ready_To_Roll_08_14_2009.jpg
    Ready_To_Roll_08_14_2009.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 543
Hi Traveler,

Might I suggest moving the exhaust pipe forward where it is attached to the frame. The reason I mention this is to round the pipe as it leaves the exhaust manifold to remove the stress from the junction where the pipe enters the manifold. I will enclude a photo of my 1950 Schwinn Panther with the same exhaust setup. The photo will also show you have your motor mounted correctly.

Your Whizzer is looking good!

Have fun,

Attachments

• Mvc-537f.jpg
    Mvc-537f.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 875
Last edited:
Back