Whizzer help

Quenton Guenther

Vendor
Local time
11:51 PM
I'm Back!

For the last several years I have been helping Whizzer owners on several internet sites, magizines, and newsletters.

Due to a recent issue on another site, I will be spending the majority of my future time helping everyone on this site. It seems when asked for help and contact information on another site, I was punished for supplying the requested information. Because I only have limited time to help others, I have decided this site to be the most fair, and will appreciate my help and input.

Of course, I expect many of the sponsers from the "politically correct" site will also move in this direction. And only ask that they be given the respect they deserve. As many know, the sponsers pay to keep sites in operation, supply us with motors, kits, parts, and have a vast knowledge base to help us build & keep our motorbikes in good working order.

Due to the recent part-time operation of Whizzer USA, I have located many new sources for parts, and will gladly forward the information on this site. Sadly some Whizzer parts are in great demand, and we are working on possible future fabrication of these needed parts.

I would ask Whizzer owners supply us with a list of desired parts and we will do our best to help.

A lot of information is available on the new edition Whizzers, and I will gladly share what I know with everyone. I also have vast amounts of information on the vintage Whizzers if needed.

Have fun,

Last edited:
Hi Quenton,
As one who checks in everyday to both sites to the Whizzer section, welcome back! As a long time reader to this site, it was your help and input to EVERYONE who asked which became the direct reason why I went out and bought a new (at the time NE-R). It is incalculable how many people you've aided over the years......

I'll be checking in with you this spring on modifying my NE cylinder. Still would like to get an NE5 head to go along with it! And having said that........

Would like to see the NE5 head (and cylinder) available again. Not sure how many NE-Rs' and Ambassadors are out there, but I'm sure enough with the low fin head. I tried e-mailing Whizzer USA several months ago regarding this, but got no answer.....Again, thanks for all you do in support of the Whizzer hobby! And again, thanks for being there for us!
Take Care,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have a small collection of NE heads, and even a few of the very rare early 2005 versions. As many know I did a lot of testing on the various heads offered by Whizzer and even went so far as to design a special hi fin version [used on most of my record setting Whizzers]. At one time I had several "Weber" replicas made, but they ran too hot [still have one left in a box somewhere] for street use.

The sad part about the last head used on the Whizzers, was the small fins, and thick design. In fact it has the best combustion chamber design of all the NE heads. I ran one of the "block" heads [my name for it as it resembles a large block of aluminum] at Dawson Springs, KY and ran faster than all but my custom hi-fin version.

In order to "cool" it down I use a 1/4" end mill and deepen the fins. Using the end mill also allows additional fins to be added. I have been able to reduce the operating temperature by over 100 degrees. I also milled 090" off the head to increase the compression pressure to 125 pounds [stock is 85 to 90]. Of course the leaky compression valve was replaced with a fine thread 10 MM bolt. In other words I can modify the "Block" head to be one of the best available.

We are currently looking into having a new replacement cylinder made in the very near future.

Have fun,

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 575
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 561
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 537
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
Quenton and Ray,

Hmmm, never thought the old "Block Head" had potential, but knowing somewhere somehow, Quenton was in his shop trying to make something of that design, well, I should have known better!!!!:unsure:

Merging Quenton's modified Block Head with Ray's ceramic coating and I think the NE-R Block Head's penchant for running hot would be history!

I'm curious as to how many NE-R's and late model Ambassadors were sold in this country....... They all are candidates for this modification.

What with Quenton's work with Atlanta CPR on his WC1 motor and now this modification to the Block Head Motor.......it is nice to know that there is life after all for those who don't own the much coveted NE-5!!!!

Question for Quenton or anyone else with knowledge on this matter: A few years back a few of the NE-5 owners were raving about the NGK Iriidium Spark Plug, PN CR7EIX 7385. I think MoonKS was the spearhead on this. Anyway, I went and ordered some of these plugs through Sparkplugs.Com. Also recall reading that some copper washers were required in order to bring the nose of the plug level with the head. Well, my NE-R has an NGK C7HSA 4629. The difference in the plugs nose length is about 3/8-1/2 inch! (the iridium being the longer of the 2) No small amount of washers could bring that nose level with the head! Which is a great shame, because the difference in the spart energy between the 2 is like night and day. So, the question is, Is there an equivilant Iridium plug available to replace the C7HSA, or are us NE-R Block Head owners doomed to owning analog spark plugs in a digital spark plug age???!!

Take Care,
Mike

Quenton,
I feel like Lt Columbo........."Just one more question, Sir........."

You mentioned a replica Weber head. Could you please describe what this head is, who made it (duh, Weber?), what was the reason for it's existence, time of manufacture and so on. If you could post a picture, that would be great, too..... I'm assuming the Weber head was some kind of hop up or high performance head utilized for the original American Whizzer engine.
Take Care,
Mike

Hey Mike and Thanks, Quenton's 300 head, i think is the Best! No Ambassadors made it to california.

Ray

Just ask and I will respond,

First the Weber questions.

Weber made speed parts for vintage Whizzers and guess what? I have all the NOS Weber parts in my collection. They made heads, camshafts [several versions], valves, and larger Tillotson carburetors [MT3B] for the Whizzer motor. Good old Weber, an American company, that knew how to make a Whizzer get down the road. A lot of my current designs, including heads, and camshafts were influenced by Weber's designs. I will attach several pictures including the original Weber head and a version I had made to fit the NE bolt pattern. Notice how smooth and flat the combustion chamber is. Also notice the spark plug entry angle and how it blends into the chamber. Also notice I slightly reworked the pattern to increase the flow.

Once the "block" head has the fins deepened and extra fins added [by cutting them], the motor runs very cool, however you would be ahead to also have Ray do the coating process. BTW, the picture of the modified "block" head was an early crude version, and the later ones were much nicer.

Now the spark plug issue.
All NE heads have a 9/16" length thread. All "block" heads have a 1/2" length thread.
All NE heads use the C7E [Iridium CR7EIX] 3/4" length plug [.1875" too long]
All "block" heads use the C7HSA 1/2" length plug [correct length]

When you check the NGK cross refference chart it doesn't tell the thread length of the Iridium plugs, therefore I don't know if they make a 10 MM Iridium plug in a 1/2" thread length or not. I have several Iridium CR7EIX plugs, but never used them. I was saving them just in case anyone ever beat any of my motors, LOL.

Production numbers on the NE-r and Ambassador II were low. A lot of the Ambassador bikes were parted out and the frame were sold as "rolling chassis". Too bad, as the first edition Ambassador with the automatic clutch ended up being the best of the series. I have one of the very first 2007 Ambassadors [motor number WSE00003], and is much faster, and climbs hills easily.

I would guess the NE-r will gain value because I doubt more than 500 were produced.

Hope this answers your questions.

Have fun,

Attachments

• MVC-087F.jpg
    MVC-087F.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 528
  • MVC-090F.jpg
    MVC-090F.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 537
  • MVC-368F.jpg
    MVC-368F.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 551
  • WeberHead.jpg
    WeberHead.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
Quenton and Ray,
Thanks for the quick get-back and info........Ray, I remember the pics of your motor with the ceramic coating on the head and the dry film coating for the piston......I often wondered as I idled my NE-R in the garage (since I don't have my NJ motorcycle endorsement, that's about all I can do for now) and as the heat was building up to the point where a nice stuffed chicken could be roasted on her quite nicely, I often thought that ceramic coating of the head, cylinder along with a dry film coating on the lifters and piston would dramatically cut the temps and add further life to the motor...... Then along came your posts with great pictures of exactly what I was thinking of eventually doing to my bike........

Quenton-Well, you've convinced me that modifying my "Block Head" is the way to go. You'll be hearing from me this spring on modifying that and a cylinder I bought for the NER..........

If Harley can have it's Panheads and Knuckleheads, well, I think tonight you gave the NER an enduring nickname! Well done!

I guess we stay with the "analog" spark plug for now until further investigations... You've should have seen the lame attempt I made in trying to add copper washers to the Iridium. After adding 2 without coming close to closing the gap between the original plug, I realized my Iridium with the bright white hot spark would not be sparking in my NER! Tonight, after posting the above, I read your reply to Atlanta CPR regarding the exact same subject!

Looking forward to seeing the Weber head....
Thanks,
Mike

Back