Why do I need a driver's license to ride a motorbike?

The Driver's license requirement for MBs in many states was added when it was noticed a lot of people who had lost their licenses, especially because of DUIs, were simply switching from cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc to driving motored bikes. Losing their license was both a punishment and a way to prevent them from continuing to drive under the influence and endangering themselves and others, so circumventing the rules and continuing to drive by switching to a MB is prevented by requiring a license. I hope this helps you to understand the rational behind requiring a driver's license to operate a MB.

Is that true? I'm asking because I assumed they just wanted to prevent kids from injuring themselves.

If the objective was to punish those who lost their licenses, that's dumb. On a MB, they're not much danger to anyone else. It's enough punishment that they can't drive. As a society, we are better off if they are still able to get to work/school/wherever.

I don't know if it is so much to "punish" people who've lost their licenses, but simply to restrict MOTORIZED vehicles to licensed drivers of any age. It's easier to enforce "all motorized vehicles require a license" than it is to deal with exceptions and caveats based on motor size, pedals or no pedals, and dozens of other potential variances.

As for getting to work after losing a license-- I was without my car for about ten months while I was saving up for an expensive repair, and I took the bus. Getting to and from work was nearly five hours of my day, but I still did it.

Same here..
About 5 hour round trip...
Bus to train to bus to work
Then work to bus to train to bus to home.

And yes, it is a punishment... Plain and simple..
It's stupid to restrict people from driving because of monetary status, which is the other main reason (other than DUI/DWI) that people's licenses get taken away...

Back