why we don't use 4 cycle engine oil in a 2-stroke

uhhh...why bother?
everyone is talking about being green, and you want to run the most polluting fuel there is....lol.
try jet fuel...it's a lot like diesel, but it burns better and hotter.

cheaper than thou . .

I use Amsoil oil at $9.00 a quart...cost more then most oils. At that price the oil cost $0.28 per ounce. Lets say the ratio will be 8 oz oil to 128 oz fuel (16:1). Fuel at $2.50 a gal all totals roughly $4.75 or if you get 100 miles per gal of mix that figure is $0.0475 per mile. If one needs to find a cheaper way to travel, buy bulk 2 cycle oil by the gallon at China Mart...or better yet peddle or WALK (but add the cost of shoes). At 32:1 you're now looking at $3.60 per gal of mix and $0.036 per mile. How much cheaper do you want from a motorized vehicle? Then again I'm looking at $0.28 a mile towing my fifth wheel, 5.6 times that of my bike. If this hits you wrong, I'm sorry but I can't see complaining about the cost of a few cents per mile on these bikes, unless you are somewhere where fuel cost $5.00 a liter. And North Carolina isn't one of them. Think about it...you pass more money in aluminum cans per mile then the cost of fuel. There you go...pick up cans and recycle them.

At my local Ace Hardware, 8 oz of 2-cycle runs $2.99 plus 7% tax, so $3.20. Regular gas was $2.79 yesterday. In my eternal quest to "get off the grid" and "stick it to the man" I want something outside the box and cheaper. It's not so much the cost as the principle. Got to be ready when the S goes down and we can't run to Wallyword for a pint.

I use Amsoil oil at $9.00 a quart...cost more then most oils. At that price the oil cost $0.28 per ounce. Lets say the ratio will be 8 oz oil to 128 oz fuel (16:1). Fuel at $2.50 a gal all totals roughly $4.75 or if you get 100 miles per gal of mix that figure is $0.0475 per mile. If one needs to find a cheaper way to travel, buy bulk 2 cycle oil by the gallon at China Mart...or better yet peddle or WALK (but add the cost of shoes). At 32:1 you're now looking at $3.60 per gal of mix and $0.036 per mile. How much cheaper do you want from a motorized vehicle? Then again I'm looking at $0.28 a mile towing my fifth wheel, 5.6 times that of my bike. If this hits you wrong, I'm sorry but I can't see complaining about the cost of a few cents per mile on these bikes, unless you are somewhere where fuel cost $5.00 a liter. And North Carolina isn't one of them. Think about it...you pass more money in aluminum cans per mile then the cost of fuel. There you go...pick up cans and recycle them.

I use amsoil sabre at 950 a 30 gall lol great stuff. i buy the 30 gall because i have alot of 2 stroke equipment at work and buying 2 cases for 500 just dont seem economical

I have never tied it but I was once told that 25% diesel and 75% gas could be run in a two stoke but proper oil seems cheaper than a new engine. The source was a guy with an old Honda dirt bike. I buy walmart 2 stoke oil and the price never seemed high, but I'm also curious about other solutions one could use in a pinch like needing to refuel far from home.

well the best i have come up with is extra fule tanks in saddle bags but in a real tight pinch i think going to a gass station that looks "auto shop-ish" would be my bet because they may carry 2 stroke mix and you can then just mix in the tank.... however you would have more than half an oil can still full... but a simple bike rack would fix that so as to carry it on there once finnished mixing.

hope this helps
-Jake :cool:

I am over 1,200 miles on my engine and im on either the second or third bottle of oil.
It cost me only $3 for a quart of regualar cheap 2-stroke oil, so i can't see anyone complaining about the price of oil.
And im getting 180mpg for gas so that can't get no cheaper.
I mix my oil and gas in the tank and shake it.
And i get aroound 90miles per tank and i never go that far.

Last edited:
Back