Wide crankset issues

andrewsandlin

Local time
4:52 AM
On wide cranksets there’s 2 different styles. One meant for a bottom bracket where the cup screws into the bike frame and one, also the spline is very long and the chain ring is easily removable. The other style is commonly found on many beaches cruisers.

Been having issues with mine which is made for a beach cruiser and isn’t as robust. I’ve never really had it in good alignment and have just kinda dealt with it but now it’s bad. I’m pretty sure the chain ring gear is bent. I know it’s only like 40 bucks but to do it cheap how do people generally get them straightened out? Flat surface hammer?

I’ve never really had it in good alignment and have just kinda dealt with it but now it’s bad. I’m pretty sure the chain ring gear is bent. I know it’s only like 40 bucks but to do it cheap how do people generally get them straightened out? Flat surface hammer?
isn’t as robust.
Why torture yourself???...Just replace it and be done with the problem...It will only bend again even if you could straighten it out.

If I'm reading right you have a one piece crank. At 3:05 RJ details how to remove the chain ring.

From there you could replace it or beat it back into true. It's just stamped 1010 steel so you really don't have to worry about the work hardening making it brittle.

I'm seeing chainrings for one piece cranks in the 10-20 dollar range but money saved is worth more than money earned.

I'm pretty sure @Jayraye39 uses the short cranks from kid bikes on his builds to deal with clearance problems. Two problems I see with that: those usually have tiny chainrings which isn't ideal if you do any pedaling, and that's not free.

If I'm reading right you have a one piece crank. At 3:05 RJ details how to remove the chain ring.

From there you could replace it or beat it back into true. It's just stamped 1010 steel so you really don't have to worry about the work hardening making it brittle.

I'm seeing chainrings for one piece cranks in the 10-20 dollar range but money saved is worth more than money earned.

I'm pretty sure @Jayraye39 uses the short cranks from kid bikes on his builds to deal with clearance problems. Two problems I see with that: those usually have tiny chainrings which isn't ideal if you do any pedaling, and that's not free.

my crankset is a full size adult bike crank. Its just for lowrider bicycles the only different is the crank arms are 3inches long. which allow motor clearance. Its other purpose is keeping your knees lower when riding with your feet on the pedals. much more comfortable. got mine for $30. but i think their $50 now. Ebay. Oh yea also the chain ring is a solid plate. very strong and the lowrider logos just wipe off with gas
Screenshot_20240131_055740_Chrome.jpg

I actually found this one. It says it’s a wide crank set. As long as 9” clears it should work. I’ll measure before I buy

Attachments

• IMG_1797.jpeg
    IMG_1797.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1783.jpeg
    IMG_1783.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 21
The kit I bought came with one like this.
Had to get an adapter like this.
Seems super wide with the offset cranks around 16 inches.

The kit I bought came with one like this.
Had to get an adapter like this.
Seems super wide with the offset cranks around 16 inches.
Hmm interesting I guess this goes in place of the cups inside the beach cruiser frame to work with the extra wide crank set. I actually have that extra wide one. I would like to mess around and see how that works out. For now tho if my measurements are good I think imma just buy that single piece from cdhpower.

I have seen the us to eu conversion but never really knew what it was for. Guess it makes more sense now

Back