Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by Alaskavan, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Actspaul asked me a good question today, so I thought I would share it. Some of us live in climes where the bike will have to be parked for the winter. What to do to insure that she will be ready to go come spring?
    Up here there are lots of mines etc, that only operate in the warmer months. Lots of equipment has to survive in the elements 'til spring. There is at least one product on the market made to deal with this. Mac's Fogger (there are probably others, and I'd like to hear about them). It's made to spray into the carb until the motor dies. It puts a coating on the interior of the cylinder to prevent rust, varnish, etc.
    Anybody else got stratagies for winterization?

2. beast775

beast775 Guest

move to a climate where you can ride all year long!i use fogger in outboard motors also,but i ride all year here,its just wet in the winter here.isopropyl alcohol mixed with your fuel is good for a 4-6 mnth spread.thats what i used in northern ontario 40 below zero and i rode never a problem.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2007
  3. Heated garage.
    I would like to ride in the wintertime. I would get looks for shure!
  4. Jim H

Jim H Guest

I ride in the winter here too. We don't get winter weather like we used to, just cold, little snow. I keep the shed heated in cold months so as to keep paints and chemicals from freezing so is a good place for my bikes and motors.
  5. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

While the UK is not the nicest place for anything mechanical because it can get fairly cold Anita is in good hands, as she spends her time when not on the road stored in the bedroom of my flat.

I dont feel safe leaving her outside especially as some people round here have a case of light fingers as there are some rough areas fairly local to me.

The thing I am wondering regarding two stroke engines is what, if any, effect cold (ie -degrees temperature) have on an engine that is regularly run... would it add to engine wear? would it be worth warming the cylinder with a hairdryer or similar to help with starting and durability?

Jemma xx
  6. larymor

larymor Guest

Hey All!!
    I'm gonna keep my 4 stroke in the garage with the car and just run it once a week to keep it limbered up. It gets really cold -30 centigrade and the car survives so why not the bike engine? I,m gonna try and ride it a bit this winter even though its soo cold here. Ya gotta be tough to live here....or crazy.........
  7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Got up yesterday to find a beautiful blue-sky day. Got all my gear on and went out and started the trike. The throttle and brake cables were frozen solid. Had to change back into regular clothes and drive the Subaru to town. Arrgh. Guess it's time to winterize.
  8. astring

astring Member

AZ will get down to 45 or 50 this Winter.
  9. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

an engine can get PRETTY DARN COLD without any adverse effects when started

when started in the very cold -- that's the time to go easy until warmed up

I realize this is not for storing durning winter but - riding at times durning winter

here's a wild thought --- ELECT HEATING PAD
    wrap over or around engine -- put it on low -- in the cold morning -- ready to go !!!

makes it nice when we Ride That Thing Mountainman
  10. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Man, I don't know what part of Glendale you're in, but I recall a 22 last year.
  11. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Heh, kind of funny hearing talk about pre-warming an engine with a hair dryer before you use it in winter.
    I don't want my snowblower to hear that, LOL.

My neighbor has a couple of 2stroke snowmobiles he uses all winter. The only preps he does is put gas/oil in them....that is after he finds which snow drift in his yard they're in.:grin:
  12. HI All,

I do lawn care in addition to the sprockets etc....and all I have ever done for my mowers (they live outside 24/7/365) to help them "hibernate" the winter is to change the oil, clean them up, grease, change blades (coat edges w/ grease to prevent rust), fill the fuel tank, add Stabil to preserve the fuel, run it for 10 minutes to make sure the treated gas is i the carb and float....and then they just sit until spring...No covers or anything....They are always ready for lawn season the following year....Some equipment I have is over 10 years old and still looking good and running strong...
    Hope this helps.
  13. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

alright -- this all sounds PRETTY NORMAL

anybody holding out on us here

like wrapping up their engines in an elect blanket or something ????

come on now -- we won't tell -- fess up

ride that thing -- only after it has been unwrapped -------------- MM
  14. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Bottoms out here to the low 30's for a week or two in January....

No winter to speak of here in South Carolina!
  15. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

sorry guys today was 80 high ,beautiful sunny skies, just perfect for riding mbs.....
  16. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

^-This is all sound advice. However an uncovered bike getting rained and snowed on, getting icy etc annoys me. I know it's getting corroded and rubber and plastic pieces are being destroyed by ice and UV. Everything else from running fuel stabilizer to actually cleaning and lubing the whole machine up before parking it is very good to do, and it keeps you from having to do maintenance work on the first nice day the next spring. Just start and ride (gently)