You Gotta See This

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by vegaspaddy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

2. JE

JE Guest

3. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

I would be worried about hitting a rock and doing a faceplant on the road.
  4. brendonv

brendonv Member

that looks dangerous! If you fall you fall on a pole, ouch.
  5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I really, really, REALLY like that thing. I'd have LOVED such a beast as a kid!

Heck, I can envision a variant where the brace wheels in front of the drive wheel are moved forward about two feet, the bar extended, and a simple flat bar seat attached (like the folding cane seats you sometims see). Get where you are going, turn the compression nut, telescope the main shaft into itself, fold the seat bars flat along the shaft, release the lock on the hinge point for the brace bar and fold it flat. Voila, a walking stick with a 16" wheel on the end.

I think a T-bar grip at the upper end with a twist grip throttle on one side, and a good grip bar on the other (maybe even a brake)?
  6. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

I bet that would be a moped in NH!
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  7. Chain theory

Chain theory Member

I think that's a boat motor and if you look close there are two drive wheels and he is holding it to the side. (not between his legs)
  8. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

I have a distinct impression that that kid is more of the Hermione and less of the Harry... I know of which I speak lol... The stance is wrong for a boy and the poor thing looks terrified..

More to the point - when have you *ever* seen a 12 year old boy on inline skates...

I gotta get me one of those - just to see the look on a policemans face!
  9. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

yes - that's what I was thinking -- stance looks off for a boy ?

yes - mr pooolice man
    if you can find this machine in the book
    feel free to give me a ticket

Mountainman sees things such as this
    and then he wants one
    my wife prays for me enough already
    if she saw me on that ride -- she would make a fast call to insurance man

don't get hurt as you
    ride that thing Mountainman
  10. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

That is pretty certainly either a Stihl weedwhacker or a Stihl mini-tiller/cultivator.

Going looks like fun...stopping looks like it would take some planning.
  11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Looking more closely, it does appear to have two wheels as Chain Theory pointed out. Also, HM, I'm pretty sure the power head is a slight modification of the Stihl Yard Boss cultivator. So, it's probably legally in pretty much the same category as a Segway. Two-wheel non-tandem personal mobility device.

The closer I look, the better I like it. It REALLY needs some brakes.
  12. DougC

DougC Guest

There was a European guy who did something like that--he built this thing that looked like the engine and back wheel of a scooter, but with a long "T" handle hanging off the back. He had rollerskates on, and it would pull him around.

I don't remember quite when this was, but I recall that the photos of him riding it were all over the newspapers "weird photos of the week" pages. He was wearing a set of racing leathers and had a streamlined helmet on.
  13. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Having perused in great detail its definately a girl, and the machine looks very professionally built.

The thing is with the brakes however you did it you'd be more likely to have the pole slam you somewhere painful than get any useful stopping power out of it - either that or you'd lose your grip and cannon into the side of that nice Crown Victoria with the writing on the side and those nice blue flashy lights

caption competition anyone?

Jemma xx
  14. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

The brakes or lack thereof were my point. You could not have useful brakes on the "broom itself" because there is little weight over the wheels and even if they could produce stopping power, - it will stop, you won't.
  15. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

That looks like fun.

I wish I had a Dad that did that kind of stuff when I was a kid. The kid is lucky.