150 miles in 2 days

For those of you that have to deal with ice/snow on the roads, but still must ride your bikes, there is an old, simple, cheap trick that works well. Buy rawhide lacing. Soak it overnight in water, fasten one end to a spoke, and wrap it tightly around your rim and tire in a spiral pattern, with a lace crossing a lace on the tire surface between each pair of spokes. Let it dry with the wheel suspended in air, then go riding.

Best homegrown ice/snow tires ever - almost as good as walnut shell recaps.

I'm from Missouri I'd have to see a pic. LOL

Well those seem awesome... almost makes me want to ride in snow... almost :cool:

I think they would suck in the snow (see my above post) But, do only OK on ice. My local bike shop, Goodall's, has them for about $10 cheaper

No pics to show you, unfortunately. I haven't lived where you'd have to deal with ice/snow since 1985. I learned that trick from my uncle in Oregon as a kid - I forgot too mention that you should let about 1/3 of the air out of the tire first, then once the rawhide dries air it back up. It will last long enough for most snowy/icy conditions, but if you live where such persists for weeks at a time, studded tires are probably better. All I can offer is personal experience.

For those of you that have to deal with ice/snow on the roads, but still must ride your bikes, there is an old, simple, cheap trick that works well. Buy rawhide lacing. Soak it overnight in water, fasten one end to a spoke, and wrap it tightly around your rim and tire in a spiral pattern, with a lace crossing a lace on the tire surface between each pair of spokes. Let it dry with the wheel suspended in air, then go riding.

Best homegrown ice/snow tires ever - almost as good as walnut shell recaps.

No good if your bike has rim brakes though.

No good if your bike has rim brakes though.
Very true. First bike I tried it on had a rod/shoe brake in the front, coaster brake on the rear. Coaster brakes REALLY are bad news on ice. The next winter I had a different bike with drum brakes front and rear - that worked a lot better.

Back