$169 FRICTION DRIVE (WITHOUT MOTOR) anyone try these?

astring the Vendor Area is for VENDORS to make announcements about their products.

You or any other non vendor has no right to start threads in this area!

oops, I thought it was about vendors also. Could you link me those regs.

all I could find is this:
Official Vendor Rules:

1. Vendors can only promote their products in the Vendor Area forum. Vendors must be very careful about discussing their products in other areas of the forum as it may be considered spamming or pimping and is not allowed. A good idea would simply be to completely abstain from discussing your products in other areas of the forum.

2. Vendors must not over-promote their products in the Vendor Area forum. - Please limit the amount of threads you start in the Vendor Area. Also, "bumping" or posting in your thread to "bump" it up to the top is not allowed.

3. Vendors may not discuss other vendors products. - There is too much drama when vendors start bashing each other. Bashing another vendor is an easy way to get banned. Vendors are not allowed to post reviews of other vendors in the "Vendor Reviews" forum.

4. In order to promote your products in the Vendor Area forum, you MUST identify yourself as a Vendor. - Make sure that PM me and let me know to change your title to "Vendor" (this appears under your username) if you want to promote your products. Only members with the "Vendor" status will be able to start new threads in this forum.

5. Follow the rules if you want continued MBc acceptance. - Make sure to abide by the above-mentioned rules. If you have any questions, it is better to ask permission than it is to act and beg forgiveness.

If you are interested in becoming an "official sponsor" (getting your logo on the left bar), send me an email for more information:

http://motoredbikes.com/misc/contact

Those are the bare minimum rules that vendors MUST follow. If you want to be well-accepted around here, make sure to keep these suggestions in mind at all times.

Which does not mention the regulation you are citing.

Last edited:
Really? First off, I have no stake in which is the best friction kit except
that i would like to buy one.
I would have bought one when BikeMotorParts was selling them for $149
but he doesn't answer my emailed questions from a gmail account.
Maybe he isn't getting them???? I will try another provider.

What are the issues?
Have you ever seen a BikeMotorParts kit?
Driven one?

I can see that the Staton kit is maybe better in some regards but
the BikeMotorParts kit looks to be more than adequate for the task.

Same 1/4" aluminum U channel
Same mounting bracket

Same lock down mechanism
The 4 bolt engine mounting to the channel seems OK as opposed to the
Staton bell housing
The main difference is the friction roller
Is there a problem with the freewheeling roller?

I think your comparison to a "happy time" is unfair

What do other people here who have one or both of these
kits think?
Thanks
I have waited a bit to reply to let others describe what they got with their kits.

I have never owned one but I have ridden some of them. Cheap Chinese Parts. Having to manually crank them up and down while stationary if your doing it safely but mainly because the ones I have seen are made from really low grade materials from China. Thats why I compare them to the Happy Time. Maybe they have gotten better, last one I rode on was in 95 or so.

The main differences that I see:

1: The Staton kit uses a 'bell housing' around the clutch bell. The Bikemotorparts unit uses 4 standoffs, & leaves the clutch bell exposed. You probably can't get your fingers into it, but, if there's slippage, the bell can get pretty hot. It's more exposed to the elements, also. (If water gets on a hot clutch bell, it could warp.)

2: Staton uses solid rollers; Bikemotorparts uses a 'freewheel' roller, which appears to be a tube around a center shaft. I like the concept of the freewheel, but, I'm not sure about the longevity of it.

3: Staton's roller threads into the clutch bell, and the motor pulling the bike tightens this. Bikemotorparts uses setscrews to fasten the roller to a shaft. IMO, Staton's design will give you fewer problems (BMP setscrew loosening/slippage...)

Last edited:
Very very close to giving my review on the BMP kit for $169....

Just waiting on one replacement item before giving the review under the review section.

Thanks to Happy Valley for a good review so I now
understand the differences between the BikeMotorParts kit and
the Staton kit which BMP copied

Be warned that the design has recently been cheapened even
more from the Staton design
BikeMotorParts now uses a steel engine channel

I am not impressed by the laser precision holes as
a good machinist can achieve the same results with manual
machines

Compared to the 1/4" thick aluminum channel it looks flimsy
and like it would flex whereas the aluminum part was solid.

The Staton kit without a motor is $250 vs $169 for BikeMotorParts
The shipping is about the same from both

I wouldn't buy one now

here is the new steel channel
The old aluminum part [ painted not anodised like Staton ] was $80

ENGINECHANNEL_steellrg.jpg

http://bikemotorparts.com/page05.html

6 - ENGINE CHANNEL

New Steel Design

Steel engine channel with laser

precision holes. 10" in length.

Black finish.

$65.00 FREE SHIPPING

Last edited:
What amazes me is that these kits were $145 recently. If they do that again I may pick one up.

Hey, was the paint on the channel out of a spray can?

You didn't say anything about the differences between the rollers
and how that BMP one way bearing works compared to Staton

Is the one way roller from BMP going to hold up?

Also you have only one size roller from BMP ( 1 1/4" )
You would have to custom fab other sizes

Would the Staton rollers fit on the BMP kit?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back