$169 FRICTION DRIVE (WITHOUT MOTOR) anyone try these?

Staton has a larger diameter drive shaft than BMP so the rollers wouldn't be interchangeable.

Hey, was the paint on the channel out of a spray can?

You didn't say anything about the differences between the rollers
and how that BMP one way bearing works compared to Staton

Is the one way roller from BMP going to hold up?

Also you have only one size roller from BMP ( 1 1/4" )
You would have to custom fab other sizes

Would the Staton rollers fit on the BMP kit?

Thanks

One way bearing is a good idea, maybe reduces fw drag 30% or so. I know they are from a production run for electric bikes but who knows if they'll hold up, lot's of grit and grime down there where the rubber meets the road. The roller has a one-way bearing in the middle third and bronze bushings on each end. At issue will be the hardness of the shaft as well.

And yeah, the 1 1/4" is what they offer right now. My guess is that's because those are all ready pre-made. BMP used to have a diy page, since taken down, and there it was mentioned having a 1" knurled fixed roller with set screws machined was a good alternative for a spindle. IIRC, I think I had an email exchange with BMP about that, seems I recall saying something about going that route in the future.

As already mentioned above, can't swap spindles....easily anyway. The BMP shaft bearings are 1/2" ID and Staton's are 5/8". You'd have to swap shaft, bearings and clutch drums.....the bearing ODs are the same.

I wish BMP would offer different sized friction rollers...

I weigh in at 230lbs and would give up top speed for more hill climbing power!

Staton drive rollers are machined with threads on the end to thread into the clutch bell.

BMP rollers slide over a drive shaft and secure with lock screws. Which is inherently more likely to slip on the shaft...

The BMP 1.25 inch roller is about as small as it can be and still utilize the 'freewheel' pawl. A smaller roller must be solid.

Staton drive rollers are machined with threads on the end to thread into the clutch bell.

BMP rollers slide over a drive shaft and secure with lock screws. Which is inherently more likely to slip on the shaft...

excellent point shared loquin

looking into all the options before my buying of MB #2 engine

and this -- makes a BIG difference to me ---
how many times have we seen lock screws come loose ????
many, many, many times

not saying that this is not a fair set up for the price
but -- things noted such as that
make me wish to stay away at this time

because rather that repairing my MB I wish to

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Mman
The set screws Lou is referring to do not lock the roller from turning, the one way bearing does that. The set screws are in shaft collars that keep the roller centered and simply from sliding side to side.

Mman
The set screws Lou is referring to do not lock the roller from turning, the one way bearing does that. The set screws are in shaft collars that keep the roller centered and simply from sliding side to side.

hi Happy

thank you -- for straightening me out there....

if I would have thought that out -- just a little -- I understand now....

so the Station drive -- screws on --
thus when tight -- stays in place -- side to side position

two early morning addictions noted this morning -- COFFEE and MB

maybe we can start a MB meeting -- kind of like AA

my wife left me
she just does not understand
all that I did
was quit my job
put a basket on the front of my MB
and load up the family dog in the basket
and then we went for a simple
6,287 mile MB ride
we were back home within 7 months
she left me over that ???

it just ain't right -- that can't be true love !!!

now all that's left is to ---
Ride That MB Thing Mountainman

Back