2 stroke oil in 4 stroke gas?

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by Happy Valley, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

I had seen a post here but darn if I can find it after searching for an hour.
    Someone was recommending running a small amount (?) of 2 stroke oil in the gas for for small 4 stroke engines for extra lubricating.

How's that work?

2. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

It'll work but go really light. 400:1 or so.
  3. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

yes very little I have also used a little marvle mystery oil in the gas to help free those sticking valves:grin:
  4. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

Go light, or you'll get carbon fouling on your sparkplug.
  5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

I think if I recall correctly it was being suggested in a thread on the effects enthanol in gas had on lubricity.

That'd be something like 1/3oz@gal.

Hmmm, wonder if it's even worthwhile?

Maybe during run-in?
  6. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

as a basic rule - the more lubrication is always the better up to the point where you get unburnt oil and such in the motor..

I think the best advice is to try it and see what happens.. you can get small 77ml bottles of two stroke oil I think.. if you can get hold of a couple of those then you have a supply and you can test it.. if it helps then keep doing it, if it doesnt then it hasnt cost you much

Jemma xx
  7. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I only have one fuel for my small engines. Its 2 stroke fuel and I run it in my 4 stroke lawnmowers, snowthrower (no longer, left that in Colorado), and dump it into my rx7 when it get old and stale.
  8. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I throw fuel stabilizer, along with MMO or two stroke oil at 128:1 in my jerry cans. I figure the little extra lubrication will not hurt anything, and will help as a valve lubricant and top cylinder lube. I was told to do this for break-in on small engines, and have adopted it for all my 4 stroke power equipment. (motorcycles included) Two strokes get 32:1 mix of high quality synthetic, regardless of what the manual says. I was sick of having 32:1 for my tiller, 40:1 for my leaf blower and 50:1 for the trimmer.
  9. I have used 2 stroke mix gas in my lawn mowers if I forget to buy gas before heading out to mow for the day.....No excessive smoke or anything so far as I could tell...

10. yeah, as been said a little will be ok, a lot of cars running on LPG use a upper cylinder lube feed into (usually) one of the smaller vacuum pipes on the inlet manifold for longer valve stem life and slower valve seat recession.

4 strokes have an oil control ring or scraper ring to prevent windage and crank case compression pushing oil past the compression ring(s) resulting in oil consumption.

If you add to much oil to combustion it will start to "gum up" the ring lands and eventually will make the oil control ring stick which will lead to oil consumption, so yeah a little and probably a synthetic that doesn't leave much deposit may give you longer valve stem life.
  11. mnbiker

mnbiker Guest

i use reg 2 stroke mix all the time if i run out of straight gas, never had a problem.
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Don't think that a LITTLE oil in the gas of a four stroke will hurt anything - but - if it truly helped in any way - wouldn't the manufactor say something about it ? Have had a lot of little four strokes - that I couldn't wear out - and never added any oil to the gas. While working in a small engine repair shop years ago - saw many operators give little four strokes - ONE HECK OF A HARD TIME - but - as long as they kept the gearbox full with oil - none died.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman
  13. BigDaddyT

BigDaddyT Member

My mom bought a lawnmower up at wally world brought it home stuck fuel in it and started mowing. It seized up after about 20 mins. She never checked to see if there was oil in it. I stuck a little bit of tranny fluid in the cylinder and broke it loose. Stuck oil in it and a magnet on it to catch the particles and its still running 3 years later. You can really trash a little 4 cylinder and itll usually still work.
    On a bike it might be a tad different as the load on the engine would likely be more than a mower or weedwhacker.

I wasnt paying attention and ran out of gas tonight. I didnt have a gas can on hand without premix in it and the nearest gas station is 6 miles away. I grabbed about 4 oz of premix and 4 oz out of a 4 cycle mower and off I went.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  14. Irish John

Irish John Guest

I don't think the Honda or the HuaSheng would need any oil additive and I wouldn't want to try it. They both go great by getting regular oil changes using Honda's special 10W-30 oil.
  15. mnbiker

mnbiker Guest

there is no difference from honda oil than any other oil.
  16. Irish John

Irish John Guest

There is. Some oils have detergents in them and some don't. These engines use high detergent premium quality oil and that is an important factor my Honda dealer tells me. There is no difference between Honda oil and another good oil that meets these specs but there are 10W-30 oils that you shouldn't use.
  17. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Here in America, non detergent oils are hard to find and are clearly marked that they are ND and should not be used in any modern engine. I have never seen a multi-grade (10W-30) non-detergent oil for sale. 30W ND oil is about it, and it is used for air compressors and lawn mowers. The theory is that since lawn mowers don't have a oil filtration system (well, most of them) it is best to have the dirt and sludge to collect at the bottom of the sump, rather than be held in suspension with the engine oil. (like a detergent oil would do)

I use a multi-grade detergent oi in my 4 cycle lawn equipment, and change it at generous interval. (25 hours)
  18. sparky

sparky Active Member

Soo... anybody use non-detergent in their MB??
  19. Irish John

Irish John Guest

I wouldn't have thought so given that the handbook is very specific about the right oil to use.
  20. sparky

sparky Active Member

Good point.