4 stroke vs 2 stroke

anyone tried the "quiet" Mitsubishi engine?

I have the same problems/concerns as you guys, noise ! I keep reading how quiet the 43cc Mitsu engine is. Anyone try/buy it and can comment? thx

I've got the GEBE R/S 35 as well. Right now, I'm contemplating various ways to use up a propane cylinder without wasting it, so that I can make a DIY muffler.

If it works, I'll be posting pics / a how-to... Come to think of it, I've got a dozen and one pic / how-to articles that I need to do. (My GEBE is rather heavily modified.)

Cheers,
Wolfe.

My 2-cycle chinese happytime kit from kings was really quiet before I modified the muffler. It was easily on par with most motor scooters.

If I ever needed it to be any quieter, I would've just temporarily disengaged the clutch and let it idle, or even killed the engine, till I passed through the sensitive area. But that was really never needed with the muffler as shipped.

Ca Law concerning displacement

Ol Pete, CA law does NOT call for under 50cc's, it calls for:

less then 30mph on level ground
Capable of Human Propulsion ie. Pedals
single cylinder
no transmission more than a 2-speed fully automatic
Less than 2 Gross Brake HP

This is why Whizzer is a legal Moped

we need to be sure this is well understood.

Mike

I am at the same crossroads OP. The choice for me from Golden Eagle is between the Robin EHO 35cc or the Tanaka 32cc. In his ad copy, Dennis states the Tanaka 32 is 2dBA quieter than the 35cc Robin when both are at 27~28mph. I want to order this Wendsday...*sigh*
I guess I'll email GEBE and inquior...about the aux muffle too. I want to ride the flood control channels here w/o scaring the sea birds or waterfowl or alerting "the man".

riding those channels are FUN! I have the san gabriel river here and i wish i still have my motorized bike, cant go into those with a harley. haha

Gmanning66, I have a Mitsu TLE 43 on my Trek. It made a little more noise than I cared for, so I installed a pipe to redirect the sound down and behind me. It's pretty quiet.
P.S. Who are you?

Ol Pete, CA law does NOT call for under 50cc's, it calls for:

less then 30mph on level ground
Capable of Human Propulsion ie. Pedals
single cylinder
no transmission more than a 2-speed fully automatic
Less than 2 Gross Brake HP

This is why Whizzer is a legal Moped

we need to be sure this is well understood.

Mike

Understood.

Many modern 2 strokes that are 40~50cc produce > 2 gross brake horsepower. IIRC the Tanaka 40 is speced at 2.2hp.

In my experience, all engines both 2 and 4 stroke are extremely loud. It is the mufflers that make them quiet, and it is the type and style and construction of those mufflers that should be compared to achieve a quiet running bike.

I agree that we need quiet bikes. Almost so quiet to be dangerous on the sidewalk, and any engine can be make quiet if muffled correctly.

Another idea, some styles of pipe/mufflers, especially for 2 strokes can improve HP, but I would prefer a 4 stroke with a large enough exhaust pipe and muffler to keep it quiet and not effect (lower) engine power. Easy to do, it will probably take up a little more room though.

Hopefully I am not just stating the obvious, but I think that if we really want quiet, we need to focus on the muffler, not the engine.

I also wanted to add to the above idea.

When listening to engines, the engines that produce the most complaints are the higher pitched 2 cycle engines. This comes from personal experience and many years flying remote controlled airplanes. The high pitched noise (like a mosquito or baby crying) tends to be the most annoying while a lower pitched engine sound (like a 4 cycle lawn mower engine) tends to blend in with the background if not too loud. Think about it, lawn mowers are running all the time in the summer and I almost never even notice them, but if someone blocks away starts a chainsaw, I notice it.

So it isn't just the decibel level, but the pitch that we need to be concered about in order to not attract negative attention.

Fearing "the man" myself.....which is why I thought of putting a small 4 stroke in a trailer (hidden) and having the trailer push me. Out of sight, out of mind.....plus you can unhook it if you want to, plus use it to haul your lunch and briefcase, etc. Some of these small 4 stroke Honda's are $200. Of course, they are too big to mount on a bicycle.....but a trailer or tagalong would work great. What does everyone think?

Yes, I have seen a trailer mounted small engine a few years back here in San Diego.. I talked with the owner many times.. He seemed to be pretty darn happy with it -- said that his cruising speed was between 20 to 25 mph. Had a larger Briggs and Stration type of engine.. I think that a smaller engine (could be hidden fairly well) Have a blessed day, Mountainman

Back