415 motorcycle chain

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by mikemarley, Jun 26, 2015.

1. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

so to those interested ive found a company that makes 415 heavy duty chain. its called ssrt and ill post a pic of the box here shortly, it comes as 120 link and its gold with silver pins

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Timbone likes this.

2. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

ive also found a 2nd company named sss that comes as a 96 link and is gunmetal grey, its just as good. t

Attached Files:

3. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

price is important here, and 100 foot roll is usually cheaper

also, built several bikes that 96 wouldn't be long enough

4. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

5. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

if price was an issue then a hundred foot would still cost more, not to mention shipping..... im just putting another few sources to get nice 415 chains for those that dont want industrial roller link chain

6. crassius

most bikes I build (freewheel cruisers) take between 102 & 106 links - those 96 & 98 chains mentioned won't work

I use 3 or 4 a month & sell another 6 to 8 - when I can get a 100 foot roll, it doesn't last long & cuts price per chain almost in half.

7. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

do you use tensioners as well? i can get by with 96 on a short frame, as i never use tensioners. my skyhawk needed the 120 link chain though. another benefit is these chains come with a master link

8. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

once again i know it isnt the cheapest, and you only get 1 chain, but the thickness of the links and the gold chain itself are worth it to me. most people dont do 50 on these bikes like me though. it takes a certain crazy lol
    pretty soon my bike will do 70 mph, im just not comfortable with kmc, its all about peace of mind to me.

9. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Isn't the 415H a bit heavier chain? And can it cause problems in a HT 2 stroke?

10. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

Yes, 415H is significantly thicker than standard 415. It would take some work to fit in the average chinagirl.
    Some chinagirls don't even like regular 415, some need grinding work just for that. Some kits have come with 410 instead.
    And really, 415 is overkill. A high-quality chain like KMC Z410 is plenty, as long as the chain run is perfectly straight.

I don't think OP was talking about a chinagirl, tho, was he? After all, he used the words "70 MPH" and "peace of mind".
    No one who is truly wise would use those words when thinking about a chinagirl. It's an oxymoron.

Or a pun, depending on how you look at it.

Timbone likes this.
  11. skyash

skyash Active Member

The ybn iso 9001 chain is gold and can bend it in my hands but the kmc chain no way both fit stock bike kmc rubs little bit on clutch cover.

12. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

Just for information's sake, I measured my KMC 415H chain with my dial caliper.

Maximum height of link: 0.467" (11.9 MM)
    Maximum width of link: 0.512" (13 MM)
    master link max width: 0.580" (14.7 MM)

Unfortunately I do not have any standard 415 anymore. Maybe someone can measure it to compare?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  13. jhammondcpa

jhammondcpa Active Member

Attached is a comparison I made of my 2 chains. #41 vs #415 bike chains.jpg Today I ordered a Nickle Plated 415h off eBay! Nickel Plated 415H.jpg

14. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

I don't think your measurements are correct, jhammond... There are 25.4 MM in 1 inch, as you likely know. 50.5 MM is nearly 2 inches!

I updated my previous post with Metric figures.

15. jhammondcpa

I'll used the digital unit, but I'll check those measurements again, thanks!

Jimmy H.

16. jhammondcpa

My mistake, the measurements were actually #415 chain .505 inches & the #41 chain was .5255 inches. I have deleted the picture from my album and will replace with the proper accounting. Thanks!

Jimmy H.

17. jhammondcpa

Sorry for the error in the earlier posting of the chain dimensions. I am attaching a picture with my corrected measurements. #41 vs #415 bike chains-corrected.jpg . I have just ordered a Nickel Plated 415H and will make the switch if it measures the same!

Jimmy H.

18. crassius

on chains, one measures the pitch (distance pin to pin) and the width (distance between inside of narrowest side plates)

415 is 4/8in by 1.5/8in (or 3/16in)

19. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Heck, I think most direct drive MB's are fine with 410 chain, Skyhawks came that for years.
    Shifter use even thinner 7-speed chain and for the most part with proper shifting technique hold up.

I find 415 chain overkill but deal with it because of stock sprocket width and #41 to be just silly, like a tanker anchor chain on a dingy.

OK in a pinch or when dealing with a big engine (got a 79cc pred with Q-matic that demands a 41 in the bay), but otherwise just wasted weight and noise.

In my option and we would be much better off if engine kits got back to HD 410 sprocket widths for everything.
    Having to grind covers and such just to fit a chain that is bigger than needed is just plain silly.

20. crassius

OTOH, the number of noobs snapping 415H chain kinda makes one wish for a hefty 530 solution