49cc Pocketbike motor on a bicycle?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KULUKIN, Apr 28, 2009.

KULUKIN New Member

I'm starting a new project motorbike and wondering,
    Has any one here tried mounting a pocketbike motor to a bicycle?

these r pretty:
    this is sexy:

I looked at a pocketbike today and it used a tiny drive chain, I'd like to convert this to work on a bicycle, prolly using parts from Staten-inc, or any other ideas?
    I can weld and fabricate, but mechanics is not a strong suit.

2. loquin

loquin Active Member

Haggard wrote a tutorial on the subject.
  3. augidog

augidog Banned

i've used the "cag-47" before and am getting a mits-copy 49cc (X2) soon...on a gebe drive...you won't be using the pocketbike clutch-drum if it comes with one. so long as you match internal clutch size to the drum of the MB-system you choose, you're good to go.

pbu has some mean looking engines alright...you can also start small and get stock engines as low as $70 for the cag & $120 for the "mits."

KULUKIN New Member

would you recommend buying a whole bike and parting it or just a motor and specific parts? other suppliers? and would Staten-inc have my parts?
  5. augidog

augidog Banned

search the web for "scooter engines"

you can easily find only-engines many places...maybe someone can post some links to reasonable pricing.

and, i represent one of the "other suppliers"...it's a straight bolt-on to the golden eagle rig. most drives that use a centrifugal clutch should be an easy match, also.

careful: the stock cag-47/49 uses a bowl/float carby, hard for positioning a tank on a rack-mount. as you see by pbu's offerings, there are DIY intake upgrades available. the stock mits49 (also in 43cc) uses a diaphragm carby, usually comes with a basic muffler, add a tank and it's ready to go.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  6. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Yes, but first a very important question.....
    How and where are you planning to mount the engine?

In the frame?

Rack mount?

What kind of bicycle frame are you planning on using?
    Wheel size?

A mate of mine is building the ulitmate in frame 2 stroke motorized bicycle.
    We considered using those very engines you are looking at but there is a better solution.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

KULUKIN New Member

God I Love this PLACE!!!
    Thank you all 4 replies and Q's,

I'm flexible on this, but..
    I'd love to copy the Chicara moped: engine on side by rear wheel, just above rear triangle, build a beefy mounting bracket(sort of like a rack), mated to a Swobo Folsom, with chain drive.

A boardtrack replica from a 21-22" 1990 Stumpjumper frame, engine mounted in the triangle, w/ chain drive.

I have a Schwinn Cruiser with Happy Time, love it but want another.

I love the look of those motors, details & hp, so if it fits and I can weld some mounts and bolt on some new gears, now that would be kulukin.
  8. Zev0

Zev0 Member

LOL, hey, I have an almost brand new 50cc scooter engine with cvt already attached. Now just have to figure out what to do with it.

KULUKIN New Member

KULUKIN New Member