A 10+hp pocket bike engine for $160!

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Dec 16, 2007.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230203621196&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

I bought this engine on Friday, and it's on the way. The Ebay price was irresistable.

It's just what I wanted, massive hp and torque. It is the ultimate air-cooled engine.

The engine was dynoed at 10.38hp @ 10,000rpm, and 5.7 foot-pounds @ 7300rpm. Mind-boggling power for an air-cooled pocket bike engine. The biggest problem will be preventing meltdown from overheating, detonation and driving safely. Racing gas and a stiff gear ratio should tame this engine that I named "Hellacious".

A STATON gear chain drive with 14t drive sprocket will keep top speed down to 28mph for starters. Max torque is at 21mph. Acceleration should be brutal.

The seller previously lived in Hawaii, so cut me a great deal on shipping. He suggested that I install nitrous oxide, as that's what he built the engine for.

I'll never use nitrous. I'm only slightly crazy, not THAT crazy.:)

Myron

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2007

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

are you going to the races, brother?? hehe

that's some monster power!

your signature line is getting less convincing!! she's gonna figure it out. lol

seriously....whatcha gonna build with it?

3. atcspaul

atcspaul Guest

WOW! i can't wait to see this on a bicycle and here about what it will do. sounds like a fun project that is for sure. you will definatly be wild on the streets

4. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

be careful ya dont turn the bike to a pretzel when ya ease the throttle on! theres some awesome small engines out there to twiddle with! http://pocketbikesunlimited.com/ here ya go! check this link out! its all in the pocket book & the wrist!

5. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Heh heh Dave, I've got my toys, my wife has her "stuff".

wavy, that site is one of my favorite sites.

"Hellacious" will mount on my 20" DAHON. If that doesn't work out, maybe my cruiser.

You're right, atcspaul, this will definitely be "Wild in the streets."

No racing, but I'll find hills to conquer.

Myron

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2007
  6. beast775

beast775 Guest

exciting

this is very exciting :shock:,the worst that can happen is bent steel!probably the frame,dropouts.the staton box is gonna want to pull the axle towards it:shock:i want pictures,great build!good luck.

7. kerf

kerf Guest

Tell me about bent steel. Last night, I was working on my muffler and cranked the R460 in the basement. For some reason, the throttle was stuck wide open and when she fired, the bike pulled from my grasp, shot across the basement and into the wall. I got it shut down but it bent the 3/8" mounting bolt holding the Staton gear box to my forward strut. That was only 4.2 HP, ten could get ugly.

8. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:In preparation for "Hellacious", I split the STATON box, removed the Mitsubishi engine and bolted on my mild pocket bike engine onto the gear chain box. The ADA goped tuned pipe cleared everything. I just need to brace the pipe, install a tank, order the throttle cable and STATON sprocket.

I think I'll need a governor and bumper guards for the engine.

Myron

9. kerf

kerf Guest

If I were you, I would use grade 8 3/8" bolts for the forward and aft gear box mounts. I'm going to switch out as soon as I can find some long enough.

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:kerf, my front bolt is grade 8, but the rear bolt is 3/8" all-thread.

It makes it much easier to align/add/remove spacers to align the box.

Maybe I can use front axles instead of bolts, for the gear box.

I might swap out the small hardware to grade 8, and cross-brace the support rods.

Myron

11. All **** gonna break loooooooooose! U C hard engager. Math man.. I need your ***-iss tance. I have this 7 hp pocket that I planned on using on a bicycle...---BUT-- It don't run before 8500 and up to 10,000 it is a work of art. U gonna ride this like a GOOD NEIGHBOR??? Not my GN! ( I hate the leaf BLOWER) But I admit that I'm a very bad man. Few are the properties that make thios life gooooooood. You go DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. uh... what he said. :D

In all seriousness... this thing sounds awesome. Gotta post some pics... and a video of a 1 wheel tire fire would be totally bad ***.

13. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Zomby, if I remember correctly, you have the NuVinci hub, but need more gears to run your engine in its rpm range.

Please post your engine sprocket size, NuVinci sprocket size, jacksprocket sizes and the rpm and top speed you want to run.

Myron

14. Gearing

Hey 7 check your PM inbox.

15. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Maybe I'm missing something but how are you going to keep from twisting the spokes right out of whatever bike you put it into? Inquiring minds want to know...

Jim

16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Zomby, try the PM again. I didn't receive it.

Jim, I'm unsure how strong of a wheel I'll need. There are mag-type 24" wheels(spokeless) available from STATON. There are also spokes as thick as 9 gauge from wheelbuilders.

Modified pocket bike engines' torque and hp arrive at high rpm, at 7400rpm and 10,000rpm. I should also use a light foot.

Also, the sprockets attach onto the hub, and are not bolted or snapped onto the spokes.

I'll try my STATON HD hub first. Hopefully, the bike shop can retrofit 9-gauge spokes onto it.

That should do it.

Myron

17. Zach

Zach New Member

How did this go?

I'm excited to hear if you had success!

Zach

18. KiDD

KiDD Member

Indeed, this was almost 6 months ago. I would love to get an update of this build.

19. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Yeah Myron, what you been up to?

20. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Hey guys,

sorry for not posting. I've been back in night school after work to earn a college degree. Music lessons, internet surfing, good nights' sleep and bikes were put on hold. In January 2009, I'll quit work, collect SS and go to school fulltime. Then I'll also have more time for my hobbies.

I disassembled the Dahon bike, because handling was too squirrelly and suspension was VERY harsh. For a quick conversion, I bolted a Mitsubishi engine/friction drive onto a fenderless girlie Raleigh cruiser with Rockshox fork and suspension seatpost. It's an excellent all-around combination, as long as i pedal a few strokes on takeoff. I can live with the slipping friction roller when the tire gets wet.

I have the HP pocketbike engine bolted onto the Staton gear chain drive. This engine is actually smaller and lighter than the Robin/Honda/Mits engines, even with an ADA goped pipe(the circular type). I need to find a donor bike that'll accept the Staton HD hub and 7 gears, along with the pb engine.

If the HP pb engine is too overpowering, I have a mild 2.5hp Polini engine or a stock pb engine to use.

Myron