A newbie here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nowramfg, Nov 20, 2009.

1. nowramfg

nowramfg New Member

Hi, I would like to intro myself.
    I am an elder gent that has a penchant for building all things mechanical.
    I have a few 30's and 40's bikes, and have a desire to make a motored bike in the "old" style.
    I have a son in law that is heavy into bikes, mainly older BMX in his collection, but he also works at a major 'bike mfg. co. in the design/R&D Dept.
    Way back in the 50's, in my native Australia/ I put a "grasshopper" 80cc 2 stroke motor into an old 28" bike. I mounted it in the triangle, used a belt drive down to the center(crank) shaft, and then reversed the sprockets, ie, put the crank sprocket(brazed it) onto the rear hub, and welded a 12 tooth onto the crank shaft.
    Worked well for about 3 rides, then ripped all the spokes out of the back wheel.....I was about 12 at the time, so I didn't care much.
    I was lucky, my dad had an auto engine reconditioning shop, so I had a lot of resources at my disposal.
    I saw an article about this site in "MAKE" magazine, so I figure it is time to do something....I have 9 grandsons!!!! think of all the fun hey will have.

2. professor

professor Active Member

Hey, welcome to Motoredbikes. You will be amazed at the number of older guys here!
    I'm one of them.

3. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Welcome to MBc from an older guy [64]

Have fun,

4. nowramfg

nowramfg New Member

Thank you. I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay

5. sphynx.0029

sphynx.0029 Member

Man did you just stumble into the right mag that day, Welcome. I am Sphynx, and my Pops ( another elder gent) is also similar to you, loves to work mech. anyway feel free to check out the builds and ideas. he is Al.Fisherman