After exhaust mod...cutting out at top-end.

Ok, I tried running the carb unsealed at the manifold where the carb mounts while it was at the leanest setting on the needle valve. It actually runs a little better with better acceleration and less sputtering at speed.

It does fail the choke test and only runs rough instead of shutting down at full choke. Which of course indicates a air leak when the vacuum pressure increases with the choke on. Though, it may not indicate that the engine is not receiving enough fuel during normal running with a carb on the rich side like mine.

I guess the only thing I can do is check the spark plug and start drinking.

Note: I am unsure of the affect of this at WOT as I never use WOT. I don't trust my bike brakes that much.

Very good ride home today!

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I also gapped the plug at .022

All I know is that I'm happy (today).

I did notice that there was a few drops of oil at the screw that holds the top of the casing together. It definitely wasn't there yesterday...screw is tight...maybe a bad gasket, too. This one will be a PITA to replace. I'll let it ride until it becomes and issue...one drop per 10 miles I guess is the speed that this happens.

Last edited:
Ok, I tried running the carb unsealed at the manifold where the carb mounts while it was at the leanest setting on the needle valve. It actually runs a little better with better acceleration and less sputtering at speed.

It does fail the choke test and only runs rough instead of shutting down at full choke. Which of course indicates a air leak when the vacuum pressure increases with the choke on. Though, it may not indicate that the engine is not receiving enough fuel during normal running with a carb on the rich side like mine.

I guess the only thing I can do is check the spark plug and start drinking.

Note: I am unsure of the affect of this at WOT as I never use WOT. I don't trust my bike brakes that much.

Watch out for a lean condition with the air leak, death to a 2 stroke!!!!!!!

Watch out for a lean condition with the air leak, death to a 2 stroke!!!!!!!

Likely, the unsealed carb may be too lean. I haven't checked the plug yet. I was going to check the plug before I ride it again. Since, I don't like pulling spark plugs from a hot engine right after riding. Always afraid the threads will get destroyed.

Well, I tried something different. I sealed the carb manifold back up and bent the float arms down in the bowl so there would be a little less in the fuel bowl. Which seems to have cut out a lot of the sputtering problems I was having. So, maybe extra fuel was being pulled from the bowl or it wasn't closing quite all the way. I still have to run it on the leanest setting, but overall it seems better.

Well, I tried something different. I sealed the carb manifold back up and bent the float arms down in the bowl so there would be a little less in the fuel bowl. Which seems to have cut out a lot of the sputtering problems I was having. So, maybe extra fuel was being pulled from the bowl or it wasn't closing quite all the way. I still have to run it on the leanest setting, but overall it seems better.

And Now the choke kills the engine????

Back