After exhaust mod...cutting out at top-end.

OK, I ordered 2 jets from http://www.dellortodirect.com

I wonder if the entire carb would fit, and if it's any better.
It sure would be nice to have at least a low and high needle...I know it would really be stretching it to have a midrange adjustment, too, eh? :)

Now, question...being that I feel my motor is too rich already, will this make things worse? I guess if it does, then I really should look at my air intake...

Your needle takes care of mid range, and your main jet takes care of full throttle. I would watch out on some of the Dellorto "clone" carbs, I have heard some have no more adjustment than the stock HT carby.

If your motor is already rich and you ordered larger jets than it is just going to be richer, since last post I read of yours you had the needle on the leanest position so there is no way to lean it out except by going to smaller main jet.

Well, I may have to "undo" the O-ring and let some air back in, I guess... :)
Can't think of any other ideas..

Man, I just bought an Echo edger 32cc, wow that runs amazingly well. Sure would be nice to put a decent motor on...are there any better made frame-mount motors made somewhere other than China?

Is this why the "better" motors are all rack-mount?

Not that the motor I have is trash, but I don't mind buying a better motor if it will improve MPGs. I'm sure this constantly rich setting I have is wasting fuel...

Any suggestions?

Personaly I think the HT motor itself is fine.

It's just the quality of everything else around it, such fasteners,carburetor,exhaust, castings etc; and the overall way the materials are made.
However, there IS quality products in China, it's just that the HT manufacturers don't seem to endorse this on their product during manufacture and assembly. Therefore the kits WE get seem "cheap", and if I do a pricing of all the upgrades I do before I start mounting a HT kit, this includes a non HT chain, non HT clutch cable, and too many other niggling little items to list, then the HT in price comes a few shades under the price of other engines with the quality issues sorted.

So in essence, now that there is a variety of kits available, it's more a case of "what bike do you want, a kit is available to suit".., meaning if a HT engine don't fit one particular frame, then the Honda or Subaru kits might do, and vice-versa. The overall point is, it's a motored bike at the end of the day, a way to beat the rising fuel prices no matter what you use.

One thing I have not included in my upgrade cost estimations, yet, is a suitable carburetor to refine adjustments and at least have a proper air filter, cos the stock HT air filter and the stock is exhaust is carp. in my opinion.
But I'm happy to tinker away, others may find the tinkering beyond them. It's choice and what one is prepared to do.
It's good the HT IS cheap to buy in it's standard form, cos if the others out price themselves, we all become tinkerers in our own right cos we go back to the HT on a, "where there's a will there's a way" ,principle.

Yep, totally agree with you there! I love tinkering, making things go faster, last longer, more reliable. And where the happy time engine is so cheap it allows you to fully customise it and make it your own. Somebody said before that the bike needs you as much as you need the bike, and its this relationship that makes it so cool!

The reason it keeps cutting out is because either a) the jet has unscrewed, (which is what I found when I took the carb apart) or b) that the jet is just a bit too small.

Try screwing it back in and opening the jet hole up by literally a few microns. That sorted my problems out, now the engine runs smooth all the way up to max rpm and keeps wanting to go!

Fastboy

I have a 27 tooth sprocket and if i change my carb jet can i will go to the max rpm cause i cant go high rpm cause my engine need to force ?. ive buy a dell'orto 78mm main jet .

Last edited:
Well....did some tinkering yesterday....just for kicks, I moved the e-clip on the needle from the ring closest to the blunt end (leanest position) to the second, then the third ring down from the end to a RICHER setting...what do ya know? The pinging went away, and so did the bogging out at full throttle.

The tradeoff was in acceleration - much slower and takes about 2 blocks to get up to 30...but it wants to go faster once it "gets on the pipe".

Interesting....I've ported the intake and exhaust...the exhaust port revealed some improvement, the intake, no noticable difference. I have an o-ring on the intake, too.

My idle is REALLY slow - it doesn't shut off, but very slow, and the screw is turned all the way in so the spring is completely compressed. Any ideas to speed it up? (Obviously, I can lean out the bike more, but I'd rather not.)

So, I figure I have at least one option to get some better low-end performance and would like some feedback:
1. Change my fuel/oil mix. I'm using AMSOil, 35:1. Maybe that's too much for this oil?

2. Shorten the header by about an inch...hopefully this will improve the low end -- I really don't care about going faster than 30mph, but I would still like to get there for long straight roads common in Florida.

What else would you recommend?

Also - I keep hearing about other motors - Honda, Robin...can someone list some links to these motors? Are there any American Made motors and kits out there? What else beside HT motors are Frame Mount type?

Also - anyone know of a decent priced replacement carb for the HT?

Also - I keep hearing about other motors - Honda, Robin...can someone list some links to these motors? Are there any American Made motors and kits out there? What else beside HT motors are Frame Mount type?

Upgrade carbs are available, but why not just rejet the existing one? That has already solved the problem.

BSA

Yes - I just bought one - hope it arrives soon - BUT mine is running pretty sweet right now......so it just seems a matter of shifting the power band a bit.

I keep forgetting what stage you are at.....so have you actually ported your engine?

Or just matched the stock exhaust to the port? Or did you get an expansion pipe?

Same with intake? Port/gasket/manifold all match?

Is your engine well broken in?

Have your jets arrived? Have you measured your stock jet?

I need a better baseline - because it's quite odd going two clicks rich makes it run better. Especially at WOT.

I think I'm having the same problem as mark...my engine seems like it is running too rich, my needle is on the lowest setting and just for kicks I took the airbox off and ran it for a bit; this all made my engine run better, still rich, but not as rich. When I moved my circlip to the 3rd position on the needle (from the blunt end) it made it far worse, I couldnt accerlerate and had very little throttle response. I rejetted my carb and this was even worse. So oviously way too rich.

How do I solve this problem? Increase air flow somehow? Do I take the O-ring out and leak air in?

Back