Almost done

A pexmor 48cc kit on a 94 Trek 820 frame with a 21" center tube. Bought the dual brake lever at the bike shop and the mirror on amazon. The rest of the parts have been generously donated by walmart bikes that have been parked for years in my family's garage. I need a new cdi as the one that came with the kit reads OL when trying to test the capacitor (multimeter has a capacitance measure mode) and I get no spark. Magneto and coil works because it read 3.3 VAC (turned by hand) Waiting on my next paycheck to get the correct derailleur and a new cdi. I'm not happy with the chain tension. The stock tensioner doesn't seat the chain properly due to the angle of the chain stays. The chain is as short as it can be with whole length links, its a pin width too short with one less link. The grubee spring tensioner would be enough with a half link but for now I have both on. I replaced the stock fuel line with 3/16 fuel line from autozone. They were out of stock on right size hose clamps so that needs to be rectified. I need to bend the exhaust pipe so it doesn't hit the road on a steep hill.
20230311_180214.jpg

Attachments

• 20230311_180223.jpg
    20230311_180223.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230311_180230.jpg
    20230311_180230.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230311_180236.jpg
    20230311_180236.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20230311_180255.jpg
    20230311_180255.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 20230311_180329.jpg
    20230311_180329.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20230311_180340.jpg
    20230311_180340.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230311_180358.jpg
    20230311_180358.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230311_180407.jpg
    20230311_180407.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230311_180427.jpg
    20230311_180427.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230311_180242_HDR.jpg
    20230311_180242_HDR.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 105
its a pin width too short with one less link
Looks good on tension with the Grubee tensioner....I always cut my chains down for exact fit though without any tensioners.

I replaced the stock fuel line with 3/16 fuel line from autozone. They were out of stock on right size hose clamps so that needs to be rectified
Every kit I have ever got always came with 3/16 gas line and it fit all my fittings without ever having to ever use a clamp as it is more than a tight fit...lol...If you find any real need to have something on it though, a zip tie will work ok for that.

I need a new cdi as the one that came with the kit
Contact the vendor where you bought the kit and tell them that the CDI you got with the kit is defective and doesn't work.

I need to bend the exhaust pipe so it doesn't hit the road on a steep hill.
Yeah...That wouldn't be happening if you used one of the CDH front motor mounts which is longer and would allow you to raise your motor upwards on both the front as well as enabling you to raise the rear upwards somewhat on the seat post.

Looks good on tension with the Grubee tensioner....I always cut my chains down for exact fit though without any tensioners.

Every kit I have ever got always came with 3/16 gas line and it fit all my fittings without ever having to ever use a clamp as it is more than a tight fit...lol...If you find any real need to have something on it though, a zip tie will work ok for that.

Contact the vendor where you bought the kit and tell them that the CDI you got with the kit is defective and doesn't work.

Yeah...That wouldn't be happening if you used one of the CNC front motor mounts which is longer and would allow you to raise your motor upwards on both the front as well as raising the rear upwards somewhat on the seat post.
I'll check out the front mount but I do like how low the engine sits right now. It's a solid fit as is. Do need to locktite the nuts before I think about riding it.

I'll check out the front mount but I do like how low the engine sits right now.
Its alot like the one I made for myself and is a hell of an improvment over the stock motor mounts...I made sure that the exhaust tip was at least 4" higher up than the pedals are when they are in the bottom most position, insuring the fact that the pedals would hit something before the exhaust ever would as you will see in the last two pics.

And this is my homemade mount and how it made for a nice fit on the motor and the bike overall...it even has an up and down swivel for perfect fit, just like the CDH one does.

IMG_0319.jpg
DSCN0229.JPG
DSCN0228.JPG

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Its alot like the one I made for myself and is a hell of an improvment over the stock motor mounts...I made sure that the exhaust tip was at least 4" higher up than the pedals are when they are in the bottom most position, insuring the fact that the pedals would hit something before the exhaust ever would as you will see in the last two pics.

And this is my homemade mount and how it made for a nice fit on the motor and the bike overall...it even has an up and down swivel for perfect fit, just like the CDH one does.

View attachment 189058View attachment 189059View attachment 189062
Your bike is a real beauty. Its no wonder you post pics so often. The stock front mount on my frame fits very well, no adapter needed. How does the phantom hold up? LA Hover talks about the problems they have pretty often.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Don't worry about your pipe hitting the ground at all, there is no way it can, unless you go over a boulder. The pipe on my 4X bike (avatar) is 3" off the ground. For your chain tensioner, get a big adjustable wrench and close it on the upright and give it a little tug to line it up with the chain. Your fuel filter is on upside down, the magnet goes toward the tank to attract any metal bits coming from the tank.

Your bike is a real beauty. Its no wonder you post pics so often. The stock front mount on my frame fits very well, no adapter needed. How does the phantom hold up? LA Hover talks about the problems they have pretty often.
I show the pics when I am trying to point out something in particular that comes up from time to time from newer members...lol.

The manufactured mount i posted link for does not require an adapter either, just as mine didn't...lol.

Those LA Hover vids are at least a year and a half to 2 years old now...He was one of the first folks to test it out, His videos are also one of the reasons why many of us here in the forums held off buying one until they could work the bugs out of the P-85...They seen to have it just about right now...lol...Plus bicycle-engines.com has an excellent 6 month warranty on all their motor kits and they do honour their warranties, thats why I will only buy my motors from them, they have integrity and just plain good business sense in dealing with their customers.

Don't worry about your pipe hitting the ground at all, there is no way it can,
Yeah it can, there are a couple roads here in town we have been complaining about for years now that first dips, and then starts going uphill...If I am pedaling my bike onto it, I have to stop pedaling so as not to wipe myself on the dip...lol...Quite a few cars have also lost their oil pans and some front suspension parts on these dips as well...The town has lost more money being sued than what it would ever have cost to repair these roads...They have not been touched for repairs for the last 12 years I have been here.

So yeah, It can and does happen...lol.

Ps...This is the reason why I have my engine mounted high enough by 4 inchs above bottom most pedal postion so I don't bust up my pipe on those dips.

Yeah it can, there are a couple roads here in town we have been complaining about for years now that first dips, and then starts going uphill...If I am pedaling my bike onto it, I have to stop pedaling so as not to wipe myself on the dip...lol...Quite a few cars have also lost their oil pans and some front suspension parts on these dips as well...The town has lost more money being sued than what it would ever have cost to repair these roads...They have not been touched for repairs for the last 12 years I have been here.

So yeah, It can and does happen...lol.
I used to ride my pedal bike in sandals and after skinning my big toe I am wary of low clearance.

I show the pics when I am trying to point out something in particular that comes up from time to time from newer members...lol.

The manufactured mount i posted link for does not require an adapter either, just as mine didn't...lol.

Those LA Hover vids are at least a year and a half to 2 years old now...He was one of the first folks to test it out, His videos are also one of the reasons why many of us here in the forums held off buying one until they could work the bugs out of the P-85...They seen to have it just about right now...lol...Plus bicycle-engines.com has an excellent 6 month warranty on all their motor kits and they do honour their warranties, thats why I will only buy my motors from them, they have integrity and just plain good business sense in dealing with their customers.
It's been a little while, huh.

Back