Questions on setup for low/mid range power

Local time
8:26 AM
Hi guys, I have been doing a lot of reading up on port work and 2 stroke performance. I haven't ordered anything yet, as I'm waiting for my W2 to come in so I can get a tax refund. Since I live in a relatively urban town, stop and go traffic is always a concern. I want to enhance my low to mid range torque without sacrificing to much top end or horsepower. I'll be running a 40t sprocket for this purpose. I was originally going to go with a G2 reed, window piston, and port work with an added third transfer. However, I am reconsidering this setup after realizing it will sacrifice low end performance. I'm thinking I'll raise the exhaust, lower the intake, to enhance top end, while keeping the piston port setup. I also read up and came to the conclusion that a longer intake manifold enhances low end power as it acts almost like an expansion chamber, increases fuel velocity, and gives the fuel/air mix more time to atomize. I'll go with an HP carb for it has jets, and it smooths out the mid range better than the stock NT carb. I might also go with the BBR Stage 2 CDI to improve spark energy throughout the entire rpm range. May add an expansion chamber aswell, but It may be later down the line as a decent one is quite expensive. A muffler is a must for the expansion chamber as I don't want noise complaints from the neighborhood.
Anyways, does anyone with a little more experience and technical knowledge have any advice for my build? All help would be appreciated, thanks!

" I want to enhance my low to mid range torque without sacrificing to much top end or horsepower." You want it all. Each one is inversely proportional to the other using the same motor. Your wish will not be granted!

" I want to enhance my low to mid range torque without sacrificing to much top end or horsepower." You want it all. Each one is inversely proportional to the other using the same motor. Your wish will not be granted!
I see, so what is your opinion on the setup? As I definitely choose low end over top end...

Anyways, does anyone with a little more experience and technical knowledge have any advice for my build? All help would be appreciated, thanks!
Make it easy and cost effective, just buy a Phantom 85...lol.

Make it easy and cost effective, just buy a Phantom 85...lol.
I would only problem is I'm broke right now so a lot of it depends on how much the tax refund is... Still looking for another job, have to call back tomorrow at a place in town. Hopefully I get the job. Also, I have to move out April 6th so any money I can save is huge.

I would only problem is I'm broke right now so a lot of it depends on how much the tax refund is... Still looking for another job, have to call back tomorrow at a place in town. Hopefully I get the job. Also, I have to move out April 6th so any money I can save is huge.
The Avenger is much cheaper and it runs cooler than the Phantom. I think the engine by itself is $185 since you already have all the kit parts

I don't but the whole kit is $199, so not a bad option, It'd be about the same price as a basic kit with all the mods I want to do. I'd just slap a 56 tooth on the rim and it'd take off plenty fast for traffic lol. I think I'll just settle on that for now, because the phantom is almost double the price as the avenger, if you factor in shipping. That way I can just slap the motor on and have the performance I want without all the work. Although it's low on stock so hopefully I can bite the bullet and grab it soon.

I don't but the whole kit is $199, so not a bad option, It'd be about the same price as a basic kit with all the mods I want to do. I'd just slap a 56 tooth on the rim and it'd take off plenty fast for traffic lol. I think I'll just settle on that for now, because the phantom is almost double the price as the avenger, if you factor in shipping. That way I can just slap the motor on and have the performance I want without all the work. Although it's low on stock so hopefully I can bite the bullet and grab it soon.
The Avenger rips (I have one), however there are duds floating around already and you get zero warranty.

The phantom has a longer track record and a warranty but will punish you if you don't break it in properly or give it the beans too long.

For $80 more I would recommend the Phantom, but for almost double I would go with the Avenger.

A 44t sprocket is perfect if you just need to go 30 or less, it pretty much pulled my 300lbs butt up to speed with no pedaling.

Back