Almost through with my 2 gallons of ~16:1...what now?

I did a decent break in with heavy oil (by mistake actually). I babied it for the first 2 tanks. Now, i am feeling more power coming out...and it makes me smile from ear to ear :)

I use regular fuel....no premium. i dont see the need for premium since it doesnt give you more power.

Alot of people confuse octane with power. Octane is the resistance to ignite. The higher the octane, the harder it is to get it to ignite. Thats why high temperature, high performance vehicles need a higher octane, to prevent the fuel mist from exploding before the piston is at (or slightly past for that matter) TDC.

Our china engines dont burn hot enough to require higher octane. It will only hurt our performance.... that is... unless you have it leaned wayy out.

I cruised around today for a good bit, and i think the other day i was having problems because i didnt let it warm up enough. I noticed today it takes at least 5 minutes for it to warm up completely to operating temperature. I usually jump on and go.

Lessons learned!

I do understand the octane theory. I only fallowed the break in instuctions that came with the kit! (except for throttle regulations) And I also know that a mix of the two (prem/reg) will change preformance. I Have added a slant head, modified ex, & air cleaner. I am going to back to reg gas, change the needdle setting.(leaner) and see what happens!

how much smoke do you guys see at idle?

you would think i was spraying for bugs at idle at the 25:1 mix.

normal?

I use regular fuel....no premium. i dont see the need for premium since it doesnt give you more power.

Alot of people confuse octane with power. Octane is the resistance to ignite. The higher the octane, the harder it is to get it to ignite. Thats why high temperature, high performance vehicles need a higher octane, to prevent the fuel mist from exploding before the piston is at (or slightly past for that matter) TDC.

Last June, when the ethanol mandate took effect, I noticed on the first new batch of 87 (major brand) that my engine was effected.

I did a survey, the recc. was to go up to 89 (major brand), and I was satisfied that the performance was back where it was, pre-June.

The dimes worth of difference per tank is noticable, imho.

Wow I must say this has been a good thread to read, good information and accurate as well. Something we don't always get here. Couple of additional comments:

I have found that with a stock set up, carb, pipe etc. the carbs are set up very rich and there is only so much you can do with the needle. I would recommend a #65 jet and probably smaller like a #62 for higher altitudes.

A good quality synthetic oil at 32:1 will almost eliminate any smoke and is plenty of oil. Oil mix chart is attached for reference.

Attachments

• Premix Ratio.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 251
Back