An alternative to heat-shrink tubing

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by RedBaronX, Mar 24, 2011.

1. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I was out picking up some electrical wire and solder, and saw a product some might be interested. I have not actually tried any of this since I already have shrink tubing, but if you don't have a heat gun, using this will look better on soldered connections than just wrapped tape.

Liquid Tape

2. MikeJ

MikeJ Member

Yes, this liquid tape works pretty good. It is about as aromatic as airplane glue, so use with ventilation. If you use flux with a solder joint (this makes for great solder connections), clean the flux off well. Rubbing alcohol is a good solvent, use vodka if you don't have rubbing alcohol.
  3. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Yup, great stuff. For bullet proof connections in really nasty conditions (implement trailers, boat trailers backed into salt water, etc) I solder, use liquid tape, and then heat shrink. Can't remember a bad connection since doing that.

Red, you don't need a heat gun for the shrink wrap, a propane torch, lighter, or even a kitchen match will work. Never tried a hair drier, although that would probably work too.
  4. goodtime65

goodtime65 Member

I use hockey tape and than coat it with the liquid tape. It soaks right into the tape and makes a nice sealed connection that will not come loose
  5. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I did a couple shrink tubes with just a lighter, so I know it works like that. I don't have a heat gun either, actually, but I just assumed that it would be easier than trying to point fire where you want it... I've got a couple torch lighters, though.

Hair dryers don't get hot enough. Heat shrink tubing is resistant to heat up to a minimum of about 350 F... I don't know how hot hair dryers are, but they don't go up to cookie-baking temperatures :)
  6. Dave C

Dave C Member

I just use the soldering iron and rub it up and down the heatshrink tube.

There's another product that might be of use if you can find any and thats self-vulcanizing tape. It comes in a roll with a layer of clear tape you take off then apply. The tape bonds to itself and after a while good luck with taking it back off. It's made for waterproofing submersible well pump electrical connections:helmet:
  7. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

that's very logical, Captain.

8. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

While liquid tape is the topic - have you used wire glue? It's the same premise as liquid electrical tape - but it's conductive.
  9. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

haven't even heard of it... would it be an alternative to soldering a connection if it is conductive?
  10. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

Exactly what it does, it works fairly well - nice for a quick fix.
  11. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Member

I used liquid tape on cracked vacuum lines before down and dirty at a used car lot. It worked where the lines were cracked ''pretty darn good too''. I was quite surprised when some one showed me that trick.
  12. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I recently used wire glue to reassemble the multi C-cell battery pack that was the guts of an old B&D cordless tool battery pack. It had two bad cells and would NOT hold a charge, so I disassembled it, identified and removed the bad cells, shocked the remaining cells with 12V DC for 10 seconds each to remove the "memory effect" in them, and reassembled the array with wire glue. Works like a new battery, and I spent about $5 for it, not $45. Holds a charge well, recharges as quickly as ever.

If you decide to do this, be careful shocking the C cells - make a battery holder on extended leads you can put into a container before turning on the current. I haven't had it happen to me, but they CAN explode.
  13. loquin

loquin Active Member

There are two types of self vulcanizing tape.

The first (and older) version you can find in Home Depot or Lowes - it is rubber-based, black tape. It comes wrapped using a paper liner to separate the layers of the roll. The 3M Scotch version is called 'Rubber Mastic Tape." This stuff works great, and it makes a nice frame tube wrap instead of inner tubes, when you need to clamp something to the bike frame. However, it IS subject to UV degradation, so you should wrap it with a thin layer of vinyl electrical tape if the job is exposed to sunlight.

The second version is very similar, but is silicone based. It can be a in a wide variety of colors, but the standard is clear. (and, it's available at Harbor Freight for under $5.) It doesn't appear to degrade under UV light, either. One Name-Brand version is Tape. The silicone tape is flexible at temperatures as low as -60F and won't burn until temps get over +500 degrees F!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011