Are there alternatives to the Nirve Vintage headlamp?

Cavi Mike

Local time
12:16 AM
I just can't seem find anything else that fits the bill. Aesthetics are of utmost importance on my current chopper build but I do need function and reliability as well and the reviews on Nirve's light make it very clear to steer clear of this unit. Even if I were to replace all of its internals, they say the construction is also flimsy. I must have a headlamp that looks proper and if there is no alternative, I'm going to just buy one and keep my fingers crossed.

What era do you seek to embrace? How do you wish it to mount? What voltage would you prefer? I've been doing a bit of R&D and have come up with some interesting ideas...
the Old Sgt.

I don't stick to any era/genre/style. If I like it and it fits aesthetically, I'll use it. My only criteria really is that it's scaled properly, I obviously don't want a 7" headlight on a bicycle. I would like it to be 6v or under, I think 4 AA batteries is sufficient for a bicycle headlight.

Pop a shot of the bike- I can do a 1&1/2" generic '30s to '50s style or go psudo pre-electric (think carbide/acetlyne) with a 120 lumine LED 6volt system- where do you want it to mount?
theOld Sgt.

I'm still building it so there really isn't a picture of the bike per se. Plus it's mostly disassembled. I still haven't quite decided on its final outcome, it seems to keep evolving in my head as I encounter various parts and hurdles.

I suppose you could follow the build thread located here:
http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=36169

As cool as one of those acetylene lights would be, I don't think it would fit well on this bike. Regardless, it's going to mount either between the triple-trees or or just below the bottom tree depending on how long the forks end up being and which type of front-end I'm using.

Right- give me the diameter of the forks and distance between thereof and I'll see what I can do... either that or it will bolt onto the lower triple tree frame.

How would you feel about bolting a perfect 'Chrome Bullet' to the lower crossbar? I have found the housing, now searching the LED(s) to do the deed with. Pretty sure I can keep it 6 volt. Fully adjustable.
the Old Sgt.

Perfect? Do you mean no flare, no shield? If so, I like the way that sounds. Shoot me a sketch or image of what you're talking about if possible. I probably will mount it directly to the bottom tree, it would be a cleaner install.

Everyone will benefit here on this= our favorite junkie, wallywurld, has a serise of fog lights that go for $20 per pair (read- $10 per light) that come in three flavors- black bullet with chrome rim, chrome bullet and rectangular chrome. All three mount by a single bottom bolt to a swivel- windage andelevation is easy to adjust. You could bolt it to the front brake bolt, the lower crosstree, the front of the gooseneck or the front fender, assuming you have a sturdy front fender. Perfectly sized for what we play with, sturdy enough for a car, plenty of room for the LED of your choise, water resistant, lens and reflector included. I recoment the RAYOVAC TOUGHNECK 6volt flashlight for guts- 120 lumins is pretty bright. I'm sure there are other candidates, but this sounds like a winner.
the Old Sgt.

Back