Beginner

this idea of motorizing a bicycle came to my mind. previously i've never had any experience in disassembling or any mechanical work but i've always had interest in this field. doing mechanical work. building, upgrading stuff. i was searching through the internet and i saw this awesome forum. i'd like to get some info, basics and all. parts. how they work. i want to buy a kit but before that i'd like to have the knowledge of building, how it works, maintenance and all. could you awesome people give me some step by step instruction and all.

Your best alternative is purchase a $300.00 mountain bike $200.00 engine kit with $200.00 jackshaft conversion that's $700.00 with disk brakes and front suspension and follow the instruction provided in the kits. This is what I'd planned but got sidetracked when purchasing an older steel frame bike. You can get the assembly completed in a day if you are clever with tools but you may want to buy the engine and select an exhaust intake and fuel reserve separately which is the best idea these kit's are easy to assemble if you get the correct parts and information if not they are a nightmare awaiting thus try to buy one that complete with support..

This is what to avoid

currently this 1930's Ward a frame when I got it in the mail is getting nearer the day when it will likely go. Problems with precise fit the engine / jackshaft mounting is too tight the frame is an 18'' steel 50 mm crank housing and on an on with setting this thing up the clearance the lack of room everything needs to be realigned the brakes are at issue there is little that is not a problem with this frame style. Worst than that it's my second project with few tools and insight. I've got it started so I will see it finish in a week or two I hope but I like the idea it is rare or scarce and has been featured by one of the larger venders. I'm expecting a lot out of it want it to compare to one that is easy to ride nibble quick and dependable. Sounds like too much to expect from a project that I should have avoided and knew it soon as I got the bike frame out of a cardboard envelope. No joking I'm preparing setting rough diamond in the rear wheel by drilling the wheel roughing that 3-5 mm wide 1-2 mm deep setting with file epoxy that and set the tiny stones in groups 16 on each side to start out. The idea to keep them 1-2 mm above the surface of the wheel and line the side pull silver silver/ nickel. That partly to get the bike stopped partly to provide a remarkable sight or reflection. I'm actually expecting it to work better than any brakes set on the market and any price.. The 3 speed Nexus is current set up off 10t 11t 17t sprocket to the ~55t final at the rear wheel I don't have the much else on the idea aside from I'm hoping to service the 3 speed to remove the freewheel and get it to lock into gear both up and down to provide extra braking or drag without the internal brake employed no way to prompt it with this setup currently anyway so the bike has a few Bolton's that will work well and prove worth the effort including the brakes if ever completed..

Attachments

• WIN_20141125_122402.JPG
    WIN_20141125_122402.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 226
At this point the bike awaits a master link and 1/2 link assembly which I'm installing now. The rough diamond surface is likely not as well prepared as it should have been but if it stay in in a few places I'll know why and prepare the surface as it should have been it appear the epoxy will stay if the aluminum surface is threaded or filed but unsure until tested hopes are that at least one .8 mm stone stay seated in the setting that is slightly larger over all than that diameter ..Next the side pull and cables clutch throttle etc..

Well I'm back to a disassembly process in needs of spacing the inside of the two sprocket set to gain alignment for the final attach of chain on the pictured, yes and the two drive's must be switched but likely the side pull brake I need to build a mount for will be more work although I have it started I've got to draw the chains on this together correctly and hope not to have to change diameter on any of the turning points to pull slack out of the setup. Yup not the way I'd hoped to find the spare time spent at this point and I'm only attempting completion with the least amount of compromise which is not much of a boast as to any aspect of this project..

Back