Best motor to get?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Marine One, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Marine One

Marine One Member

Hello all and thanks for all of your help so far.
    I have a motor that just gave up the ghost I think. It has been knocking on the high rpms and today it gave a couple of bigger pops and slowly revved down to nothing. I tried to get it back working again without taking anything apart so far and no-go. Not sure what happened or what was making it pop really (pretty sure it was running rich) but I am Not sure if running rich for an extended period of time would kill the motor like that.

Anyway. I'm looking at the possibility of getting a new motor. One with a little more umph that normal. Not looking to spend a rediculous amount of money on the new motor but willing to pay a decent amount to get the right one.

A little about how I drive and where I live. I live near the gulf coast so it's pretty flat. I have a fixed gear set-up but looking at also getting a shift kit a little later. And most of my driving is just around town and nothing more that about 20 minutes one way at 20-25mph. So not very far. I'm not looking to set any land speed records but I would like the new motor to be ported, balanced, and possibly have a reed kit with a carborator. Not really interested in upgrades for electronics or exhaust. But if you have any suggestions please let me know and if possible post a link. Thank you all.