Brand new GXH50, bogging problem...

Be sure to check the pilot jet as it is the biggest issue with fuel flow. If partially plugged it can respond to heat and cause your problem. The jet is located below the mechanical idle setting screw. Remove idle adjustment screw and lift [gently pry] the jet from the carburetor. It is very difficult to clean and most often cleaner and air don't get the job done. Use a strand from a "frayed" cable to force the obstruction from the jet. Never use a drill bit as it can easily open the jet size too large.

Are you using the Honda or HS carburetor?

Have fun,
Het Quenton, is'nt that the low speed jet? If the engine is idleing then isn't the problem the high speed jet? i'M NOT ALWAYS THE SHINIEST PENNY IN THE STACK, SO PLEASE CORRECT ME IF i'm WRONG. i'M STILL LEARNING TOO.

Red: Yes, I use a 75-micron sintered bronze inline fuel filter. I learned a long time ago the consequences of running without one...not fun.

I took another long ride at lunchtime today, and all seems well -- except for one brief moment after a long full-throttle run when I slightly felt the beginnings of the old bucking and bogging. As before, I just went down to about half throttle for a while, and then I could open her up again without trouble.

It is the pilot jet, not the main jet. Does everyone know the main jet and the pilot jet are larger on the HS carburetor? Normally the HS motor will rev higher than the Honda, because of the slightly larger main jet.

For some reason the carburetor is hard to clean, as many have sent them to me and the fix is almost always a serious cleaning and testing. On several occasions it was necessary to clean more than once.

If you have a "clear" filter, you might be able to watch for slow flow, which as you noted may be causing the bowl to empty at W.O.T.

Have fun,

Well, I finally got to the bottom of my GXH50 bogging problem:

Apparently, my 75-micron, in-line, sintered bronze fuel filter was too restrictive. (I have no in-tank filtering, and a non-restricted, free-flowing bung on the tank. The cap on the fuel tank is venting properly, and the fuel lines are nearly vertical [good gravity flow]).

I changed to a 150-micron fuel filter, and the bogging problem has gone away -- even with long, WOT uphill runs.

The two filters are shown below, and the circles beneath each one show the relative sizes of 150- and 75-micron particles. My new filter -- the red one on the left -- will trap particulate matter in the fuel that is 150 microns or larger. I hope this is sufficient. When new, I treated my tank with Caswell's novolac epoxy liner, so I'm not worried about chunks of rust breaking loose inside the tank.

filters.jpg

Back