Butch's EZM Recumbent

Discussion in 'Dealer Advertisements' started by Butch, May 4, 2009.

1. Butch

Butch Guest

I just finished installing my EZM kit on a recumbent that I built over the winter. I had to wait for the weather to warm up here in Minnesota so I could get it painted. I like to pedal along with the motor so I made a 72t. chain ring out of .125 aluminum. I went for my first ride today and other than a minor belt tension adjustment it ran great. Did not open it up all the way but cruised at 30 MPH at about 6800 RPM. It's quite a bit quieter than the Grubee GB. It's gonna be a fun summer.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. sjackson

sjackson Member

That is sweet! Nice bike!
  3. ENO

ENO Member

Hey Butch..ENO (Down Under)..Mean..You wouldnt want to hit a tree on a that..but I suppose you could woodchip the garden with mess it made..Original shape and design..bet you get the looks..See ya ENO
  4. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Hope you get someone to take a pic of you riding it, I'd really be interested in that.
  5. mabman

mabman Member

Nice looking 'bent. That big ring is dinner sized for sure.

Try turning your recoil starter clockwise one click, it will be easier to pull from the seated position I imagine. It will make the 4 look funny however. I did this with my conventional mount and it works great! Took off the 4 sticker btw. Looks like a perfect place for a MB sticker, if I had one that is.....

Long term you might want to put a bracket from the back of the drive up to your rack somehow to stiffen it up?
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

I bow down to those who can build bikes from scratch.... maybe one day!!!!!!

Yeap its going to be a fun summer in Minnesota,

safe travels VP
  7. pooja84

pooja84 Member

I found it really nice. Very unique one!! Keep up the good work!!
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice job !!!
    looks like it''ll be comfy and quick :cool2:
  9. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

that is an awsome build butch! that front sproket looks massive
  10. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Butch,

Nice, really nice.

Sure would like to post on the company website.

Have fun,
  11. Irish John

Irish John Guest

That is a lovely build Butch. What sprockets have you got on the engine drive chain? The rear wheel one looks big and the gearbox one looks very small. Is it a freewheel sprocket on the gearbox?
  12. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Cool ride Butch. I've been thinking of building a 2-wheel recumbent much like that. Any advice about building that style frame?
  13. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Really nice looking bike, Butch
    I like the color and the way you have the motor tucked in there.
    Must be a comfortable ride.

Have you thought about using the flex exhaust tubing?

How are you adjusting the rear motor chain tension?
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  14. Butch

Butch Guest

The gearbox sprocket is 9 tooth and the rear wheel sprocket is 48 tooth. No freewheel sprocket on the gearbox. Thanks for the compliment.
  15. Butch

Butch Guest

I guess the main thing is make sure the frame is straight and everything is aligned.
    Check alignment, tack weld, check again and realign if needed before final weld.
  16. Butch

Butch Guest

Thanks for the compliment. It is a very comfortable ride. I do believe that this is going to be my new favorite ride.
    I have ben considering the flexible exhaust. Maybe soon.
    I thought I had enough adjustment room on the rear dropouts but the chain was still a little sloppy. I'm in the process of installing a chain tensioner now.
  17. MotorBicycleRacing

Butch, do you have any more pics please?
    like one from the rear and someone sitting on the bike?

18. Butch

Butch Guest

I have attached a stabilizer bracket for the EZM transmission and also a bracket for a chain tensioner. I'm now just waiting for my sprocket and adapter from Jim and I can finish putting it back together again. Sprocket and adapter were supposedly shipped yesterday so I might have it on the road by the weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed.:biggrin:

Attached Files:

19. MotorBicycleRacing

Wow,that is one Heavy Duty rear brace set up!

I have a very clean seat post attachment but of course you did not have that option

Can't wait to see it up and running again....
  20. Butch

Butch Guest

I was hoping to have the sprocket and adapter this weekend but no such luck. Maybe and hopefully it'll arrive next week. Been waiting about a month now and I sure hope it's worth the wait.