Buzzbike Upgrade!

The old reduction friction drive has been removed and tossed on a shelf. It was fun, I learned, but its wore out.
20211022_180501.jpg

Stripped bike to its bearings, cleaned, lubed, new driveline chain and cassette 11-32 / 7 with long cage derailleur, trigger shifter. Dumped front derailleur.
Stole hookworms from wife's bike.
🙄
20211020_175150.jpg

Added BBR 48cc.
20211102_172533.jpg

And that's my stopping point. There's no way in hell a chain will line up w/o power idlers. Kinda knew that anyway....

Course, now I whine, pout, wife says I can get a shift kit for xmas.
🤣😂

Hope I got everything right, I watched a video b4 installing those circlips, one for the clutch too.

Was planning to break it in on a trainer stand, but as I can't run chain it has to wait.

Do I need a load on the engine for break-in? I have a pull-start I haven't installed yet.

I might also ask, with an 11-32 cassette, do I need anything different from the standard SBP kit sprockets?

I do have hills. 30 degree hills. Buzzbike went up - once. Me pushing for a mile good god what a screw-up.

Trike with a Bafang 750W drive, SRAM DualDrive 3spd hub 12-28 cluster 20in wheels, climbs it like a bulldozer. I'd fall over trying that with a bike, I'd have to move a bit faster.

That hill calls me.
I want to rip up that hill.

Maybe I shoulda got an 80cc?
(but that's not legal...)

True dat. Know what? I just got a used bike with a BBR stage something engine on it. It runs decent from the 3 minutes I've ridden it. Idles good. Smokes like crazy though. Using the same gas I've used on two other engines with no smoke. Don't know why.

True dat. Know what? I just got a used bike with a BBR stage something engine on it. It runs decent from the 3 minutes I've ridden it. Idles good. Smokes like crazy though. Using the same gas I've used on two other engines with no smoke. Don't know why.
Rings ain't seated, or seated improperly due to whatever, maybe even crappy material, or worn out. It's bbr. lol

I have about two tanks worth, another refill b4 I need to mix again.

Am I ready for a light ride? I'll take my old buzzbike ride, it's a make sure I can pedal hone route.

And...what mix for that third tank???

Tell me tell me I'm already getting s***-eating grin. Etrike is cool, but I like smokers!
4oz to 1 gallon fuel. I use 30ml to 1L, if you do metric.

Rings ain't seated, or seated improperly due to whatever, maybe even crappy material, or worn out. It's bbr. lol
Are there any ‘whatevers’ I can prevent at this point?

Beyond a careful break-in?
Ran it three hrs on trainer stand yesterday from that video most light loaded mid-throttle. Impressive oil puddle under it.
Repeating that today for second run, same mix (10:1 😳).

Ran it three hrs on trainer stand yesterday from that video most light loaded mid-throttle. Impressive oil puddle under it.
Not now. you don't break in that way. Ruins the ring. You break in with a heavy on the oil mix ( wets the bearings, and removes fine shavings as parts seat together), and you lazily find some hills, while the engine warms up. Then you hammer it, WOT, goose it, all the way up the hill. Then coast down the other side with the clutch in. Let the revs fall back down. Then give it some gas and get a little run for the next hill. Hammer it again going up it. Never let your revs reach the moon, but you need a heavy load and WOT to seat the rings properly. After hitting the hill 4 or 5 times like that, go home. Let it cool off. Do it again, and maybe a third time if you feel like it. Usually mine are set after the first run. 4000 plus miles on one jug and thousands on other engines as well. All of them still have the same power as they did after break in, and are still running strong years later. Break the rings in quick, or you are just sanding them down and they will never seal right.

Also the break in is heat cycling the engine. And you want it to go though 3 or 4 cycles while checking all the fasteners as everything stretches and beds.

edit: I like tearing things apart and inspecting every so often. All my engines look great inside, little wear and almost no carbon build up.

What you need to do is ride it under load, NOT the trainer to break things in properly...Do a few runs up hill every so often...you should be OK...Karl went into more detail than i did in his post just before mine...DAMIEN
Impressive oil puddle under it.
10:1 is waaay too heavy on the oil...should be more like 20:1 break in...

Since you have already done the trainer stand thing, you may still be able to salvage your break in.

Dump that 10:1 gas from the tank and now go direct to 32:1 conventional oil and do what Karl has said for a more proper break in.

After you go through that one gallon of 32:1 conventional mix, then go to 32:1 full synthetic 2 cycle oil thereafter.

I ran about a half-tank.
Dumping, measuring, remixing.

And guess I’m going for a ride.
Just putter around, half to three quarter throttle, varying the throttle, with some burst of full throttle. Get it good and warm, let cool and then start all over again. 5 or 6 heat cycles should do it, probably take you most of a day.

I went over hardware, remixed, ran some loops around my lot. Can’t do that on anything I’ve been riding, it’s a good hard ride. Drive is 1200ft valley in middle, rough rutted gravel. A good 10 minutes of that, checked hardware again, went out to the street running back forth up down hills.

It definitely loosens up. Another ride on my lot it’s running like a dirt bike, I’m standing and hanging with it.
Another hardware check, gotta take two links from my drive chain. It was set on a larger chainring.

I think I need a larger engine drive chainring. Pedaling cadence too fast bumping it up a bigger hill when it starts to sag.

Anyways, maybe another ride today b4 dark?
😁

Back