Calling all Colorado springs MB enthusiast's

Discussion in 'Races, Events & Group Rides' started by dchevygod, Mar 26, 2014.

1. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I'm new here to COS and need to make some friends. I was hoping there was a few ppl local so we could get together for a meet/greet, ride and possibly find a isolated 1/8-1/4mi. Strip for some drag competition, maybe grill some burgers and drink some suds.

Anyone interested let me know on here first then PM me.
    I also have a couple gopeds, if anyone has one they're more than welcome just let me know so I can plan to bring mine as well.

This is just a feeler so please if you are local think about how/where we could throw a good MB party. And not be hassled if we want to line up for some drags. I'd make classes to keep things closely matched, i.e. shifters are a class all there own. Small and large bore 2 strokes, mini and large 4 strokes all in there own class. And we can just go with the flow of what shows up lol.

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

There's a few in CS, up here in Denver there's a bunch. You know there's supposed to be a trail from Denver metro to CS. I travel on the west and northside mostly.

3. thedirekter

thedirekter New Member

I know this thread is a tad old, but I thought maybe bumping it might get some more folks on here.

I just built my first bike and am trying to get more of my buddies to do so, but would be stoked to find some other riders here in the Springs! There's a long road up near the Upper Lake Gulch Rd. exit that I want to go ride, but riding with others would be much more fun!

4. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Cool! Where are you located in the springs? I'd like to get together with ya for a ride. What kind of bike do you have?

5. thedirekter

thedirekter New Member

I have a vintage Huffy Santa Fe with an HT kit, an extended intake and a slightly shaved piston skirt. I live up off Stetson Hills near Vista Ridge. Still finishing off my first tank, but already can push 30mph around the neighborhood. Hopefully I can put some decent mileage on it this weekend!

6. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

If your down I'd like to get your friends going with non kit bikes. Yes there more expensive initially but in the long run are way more reliable. I'll be riding tomorrow, let me know when you're free to get together for a ride.

7. thedirekter

thedirekter New Member

I'd be fine with that, most of is are broke downhill skaters though so the kit might be the only option to start haha. I used to race ATVs when I was younger and wanted a motor to tinker with, so I grabbed the kit, but I will definitely be picking up a better motor in time. I have class tomorrow so I might just get a neighborhood ride in, but I'll be sure to let you know when I'm free to go on a longer ride!

8. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Hey Dire you want to do some riding today or tomorrow?

9. thedirekter

thedirekter New Member

I'd be down, but I was working on my motor yesterday and the retaining ring for my piston slipped off my pliers and flew across the garage into no man's land... So until my new ones come in or somebody has one that I can buy, then I'm screwed til later this week. Or if you know anywhere I could find a similar one in town, that'd be great!

10. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

A cir-clip? Hmm I may have one but I don't know if it'd be the right size? I've only worked on a few HT's, never owned one. I have a goped that can keep up with my bike if you want to ride that? I'll go look thru my parts and see what I got.

11. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I've used some spring steel and made a cir-clip before. Do you have a small keychain ring you could cut and bend?

12. thedirekter

thedirekter New Member

THANK YOU! I have been trying to think of the right material to make one and that would be perfect for now! Thanks! I'll probably be able to ride tomorrow though.

13. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

No problem. How did it work out?

14. thedirekter

thedirekter New Member

Better than stock! Much more snug. It runs great after the port clean up, more torque, but I need to find a new jet because it 4-strokes terribly after 3/4 throttle.

15. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I've got spare walbro carbs for my gopeds. Turn a screw don't open up a float bowl and change a jet. We would need to figure out a manifold but adjustment screws are the easiest way to tune. Let me know if you want to attempt a retrofit.

16. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I have a few different models of carbs some small bore some large bore. Too bad my other HP carb for my bike "wyk58" has a high speed adjustment screw snapped off in it :( that'd be the right size for a large bore motor like your HT. I hate float bowl carbs with a passion!

17. thedirekter

thedirekter New Member

I have yet to use anything other than a float, ever, even when I was racing ATV's, so I wouldn't know the difference really. I've always been jetting and have never had a carb with an adjustment screw. I would love to try to retrofit one, whether it be the Walbro or a different one. I'm a huge fan of tinkering and making small adjustments here and there, and trying out new things which may not be typically done, so count me in on that one! I could probably come up with something basic with some aluminum or copper piping, but I'll be starting my welding classes this summer and all my semesters afterwards, so once I really get into it, making custom manifolds and exhausts will become a huge part of my free time.

18. thedirekter

thedirekter New Member

Well now I actually need a new carb... I just snapped off one of the "petals" on the part that goes over the manifold. It still goes in far enough to not leak terribly, but I'd rather not run it like that. Should work for now but a more adjustable and bigger carb sounds so much better! How much would you ask for one?

19. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

A pumper carb has many benefits. For 1 you can mount your fuel supply anywhere, it doesn't require gravity feed. 2 your fuel demand may be higher than gravity can provide, so the diaphragm pump will supply the correct amount of fuel thru out the rpm range if adjusted correctly. 3 the ease of turning an external screw for H/L fuel adjustment is sooo much easier than opening a float bowl and changing a jet, sometimes several times to get it right.

With the weather changes here in the springs I've been constantly adjusting my carb to keep me on the power. I couldn't imagine letting my bike bog or 4 stroke till I could change a jet! I'll stop and adjust it on the fly, I just installed a PPS expansion pipe today and the tune needed drastic changes. I'd be waiting on jets if I had a float bowl carb!

20. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Not thinking about what I'm currently running. I have a single feed wt-257, a wyk-219 unadjustable"with a leaner jet" and a wyk-138 with only a low speed adjustment. My spare wyk-58 has a broken adjustment screw :(

I think that the single feed wt-257 with H/L adjustments would work best for you. I have only about 50 miles on that carb "that was new" before upgrading to a wt-813 "same carb as the 257 but with feed/return for fuel primer and an accelerator pump" I'd sell you the carb with throttle linkage and goped manifold for $45 and I'll help you get it mounted. The pulse hole will be the hardest part.