Calling all Honda 4 strokes with Grubee Gearbox

Where can I get a Grubee gearbox? I found the manufacturer's website, but the Montana distributor listed does not seem to engage in this type business.
Regards,
Duhawki

I'm in the same boat myself. All I want from those kits is the gearbox, tray and tank and nothing more. Sometimes I only want the gearbox but I think they only sell kits. It's time we knocked these suppliers into shape because they should have to supply spare aftermarket parts.

I'm in the same boat myself. All I want from those kits is the gearbox, tray and tank and nothing more. Sometimes I only want the gearbox but I think they only sell kits. It's time we knocked these suppliers into shape because they should have to supply spare aftermarket parts.

Last fall when BirdDog/bicycle-engines.com first began selling the Grubee 4-stroke kits they offered all of the parts separately. I believe they are just currently out of stock on the kits and the parts. They are expecting a new shipment in the not to distant future and I'll bet that they will again have the separate parts available at that time. The gear box last fall sold for $100.00 and I believe that included the clutch. The motor mount was $50.00 and the Tanks were $30.00 They also had the Delux Long Exhaust?Muffler and they also had the Heavy Duty Rear Hubs with freewheeling driven sprocket and band brake. I've read in various threads here that they will be getting a newer improved gearbox with the new shipment (how its improved I don't know) other than more cover mounting bolts. They are also going to be getting the latest version of the Grubee HT 2-stroke.

One cavet about BirdDog they don't seem to be able to respond to e-mail requests for information in a timly manner so if you are in need of detailed information about their products and when they will be available a phone call will get the answers for you.

ocscully

The only improvement I have seen is that there is a cover over the engager lever so that when the gearbox is run "wet", the lubricant does not bubble out. I am looking forward to hearing if there are additional improvements.

and they also had the Heavy Duty Rear Hubs with freewheeling driven sprocket and band brake.
One cavet about BirdDog they don't seem to be able to respond to e-mail requests for information in a timly manner so if you are in need of detailed information about their products and when they will be available a phone call will get the answers for you.

ocscully

Thanks Oscully, that's cheering news. What is a band brake? If it's one of those coasters the word should be banned not band.
Birddog are good but very laid back - practically horizontal in fact!
The new kit might have a cable operated choke like the Grubee I got recently and an extra 10 mm on the top to house the cable plate that screws onto the valve cover. The choke cable crosses the throttle cable at right angles and they interfere with each other. A real no-brainer! I don't think the gear engager lever needs a cover. The priority is to get the clutches made properly and fix up all the terrible quality fade. Don Grube must have his balaclava on backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering, how long do the clutches last in the grubee gearbox?

They last indefinitely but on recent ones I've had to recut the keys to fit the keyway cos there is discrepancy between clutc keyway & engine shaft keyway where there shouldn't be. You can wreck a clutch though if you really try hard and use a too small sprocket and the wrong lubrication etc but basically they go on for ever.

BirdDog / Bicycle-Engine

If there are any transmissions available, Bicycle-Engine should have them. Other dealers have loose ones from kits.

I bought a transmission from Spooky Tooth. Don't know if they still have any. It had the narrow clutch shaft keyway with the wide key slot in the bell bushing. Some have gotten around the problem by filing the key under the clutch enough to fit snug and still be full width for the engine and bell slot.

If it was all easy, it would take away much of the fun, BUT after so much fun you may want to just pull out your gun and shoot it. That is an option here as many still pack heat. )

Good luck

Jim

well to get to your post i have the same set up on a 48 tooth get in about 35 mph with no governor the motor is at high rpm's. lgoin what is the point telling evryone that they don't have a Honda mine is stamped in the case in aluminum razed letters HONDA
the dude has like 10 post :eek:
I have the same set up as yours with a Honda and 48 tooth with the Grubee stage 3 gearbox. I have tried all kinds of lube in the gearbox but still makes too much noise. What are you using for lube.? Do you have to get some miles on it before the clattering goes away?

im useing wheel packing grease in there now white grease breaks down and chatters after times and fails
wheel packing grease its that stinky stuff its comes in a tube its worked the best so far for me

it will be really smooth first few miles
i put a lot on thick on everything not in the clucth bell then it will be nice with no chatter for the season and you should make sure you chain is about 1/8 inch. lose anyways if u run it to tight you will mees up that gear bearing

Last edited:
Back