4 stroke 5 speed home made creation aka wobleybike

redneckracing674

Local time
1:43 AM
Well ive built myself a little gas bike. im used to building 40+ mph deathtrap/wheelie machine scooters. im using a little 30cc chinese 4stroke off a craftsman weedwhacker. currently it drives through a 18 to 1 mobility scooter gearbox off of a mud bogger i built about a year ago. this than goes into a bike rear sprocket giving me an adjustable front ratio. i currently have it on the 14 tooth sprocket.

Im using an aluminum plate on a piece of allthread as my shifter, move nuts it shifts into diferent gears. top speed in 1st gear is about 5 mph and 35 in 5th. anyway im trying to modify the centrifugal clutch found on the unit to engage at a lower rpm so i can creep/not always have to be at high rpms to make it move.

The engine has a few little things done to it so it revs to around 6500. im also curious if anyone has some ideas at how to get it to pull off the line faster or possibly do a little wheelie like the electric version of this bike would do. the problem with the electric one s that i had a slow 25 mph top end, and with the big batteries i had it wieghed around 80 lbs no rider.

My frame is an what i believe to be an early eighties huffy frame. it was completely indestructible. i dropped it about 50 feet from a tree onto a log and i bent the front rim a little, before i realized the potential of this frame. you might be wondering why i call it the wobl-e-ybike, my buddy coined the phrase after it was electric powered and before the front wheel got straightened. (if you ever want to know how to straighten a front wheel, just chain it to a tree, and yank on it with a mud mobilty shooter.) and yes it cost me 10 dollars to build, only thing i paid for was the motor. it had no gas tank but ran just fine.

It is in need of a few adjustments and new pegs. the whole thing can be converted back to a weedwhacker in about 20 minutes. the adapter for the gearbox i made with the weedwhacker stub, and welded a part i made on a lathe on there. i have a little square to keyed circular driveshaft connecting the two. i thought it not being hardened might cause it to break. it hasnt.

The big zip tie that appears to be holding the motor on is just there for when i buillt the thing, to suport the motor, while i made aluminum motor mounts. the 1st revision of gas tank mount was to thin and cracked around then ears. i think it was 18 guage. other than that controlls are as follows, left to right. throttle (short/lower handle) front brake (upper longer handle) kill switch, rear breaks, ratchet shifter. simple. does incredible burnouts! (5 hp scooter project in backround)

S

So its 18:1 reduction, do you buy the gearbox or get it from a scrapped out mobility scooter?
got it out of one of my projects. had bad seals, and i refilled it with grease. it works fine. i dont know why it was oil filled, had sealed bearings than that goes to the bike trans, so it can be 18 to 1 (5th) all the way up to 40 to 1 (1st)

Put a long header pipe for more bottom end torque, for that little motor an ID of 3/4" will be plenty. Make it 18" or so depending on where you want it to dump. One of those little hot dog mufflers will give it all the back pressure it needs to get out of the hole.

You should get a tachometer and a bicycle computer to use as a Speedometer. You didn't say how you were determining your speed. At 6500 rpm on 29" tires at 18:1 total reduction your top speed would be 31.2 mph. On 27.5" tires 29.4 mph and on 26" tires 27.9 mph. So you're either turning more rpms and/or your reduction calculations are off. I use a Robin Subaru 35 which is a 33cc 4 stroke engine. Around 29 mph is the max level ground speed 4 stroke 30ish cc engines will produce. My bike is a shifter with pedals the reduction range is 66.79:1 to 16.25:1.

Consider getting a shift kit or designing your own so you can put the pedals back on. Then rear rack mount the engine. I can tell you're a creative person is why I suggest doing this.

16399220969031589843155.jpg

Back