Can the Hua Sheng 49cc motor be mounted on a tilted plane?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Edge, May 28, 2013.

1. Edge

Edge New Member

I don't have enough room in my bicycle triangle when I mounted the Hua Sheng motor on a level plane. Is it ok to mount this engine on a tilt?

Last edited: May 29, 2013

2. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

The 50 cc 4 stroke Huasheng is a good clone of a Honda GXH 50 cc.

Yes it is OK to tilt the motor about 10* if I remember correctly?
    There was a Honda build here that did that and they found the Honda specs.

I would tilt it towards the back or filler hole if you absolutely have to.

They don't look good on an angle IMO.

Post a few pic's of your install, maybe there is another solution like
    dropping the mounting plate?

3. Edge

Edge New Member

I think I may have to get a rear mount of some sort. Wouldn't that be better to have the heat and noise behind you rather than between your legs?

4. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Rack mounts Suck for the size of motor like the 50cc Huasheng.

I would get a more suitable bike first.

Motorcycle motors are in frame for many reasons.

Noise mainly goes out the exhaust pipe which is behind you.

I like a little heat between my legs.......

Post a pic of your tilted motor install.

5. Edge

Edge New Member

I have to tilt it this way to fit the 49cc motor mounted on the engine mount into the bicycle triangle. Do you think this will work? To lower the mouting plate, I would have to cut the steel with a hacksaw(?) and drill new holes for mounting the engine and the brackets for the frame. What to do? Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

Sorry to tell you but you're already screwed.....the gearbox on this kit will go bad immediately........plus I think the engine should be LEVEL...

7. Edge

Edge New Member

Tell me more about this gearbox. What model is it? What should I replace it with?

8. Edge

Edge New Member

Anybody?

9. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

IMO, use the gearbox that you have till it gives up the ghost......then check out bicycle-engines.com (birddog dist.).....I've been using a Stage 111 from them for over 5 yrs. with no problems..however, someone on here doesn't agree with me.....if you use a stage 111 , DO NOT engage the engager with engine running, lock the engager in place before starting engine, also fill the gearbox with wheelbearing grease.....DO NOT use oil or any combination .......

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  10. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

horrid kits, noisy, and fail easy. also way undergeared. get a smaller rear sprocket. do some counting and math and work out what ratio its running. you want around 12:1 for a 26" wheel. it will still pull hard up most hills, but wont throw a rod when its wound out...

angles fine, as long as the carbs slightly up. splash feed crankcase, so maybe add a bit more oil. not much!

too steep and the carb is the issue, not the lubrication. that oil will get whisked around no matter what.

11. Edge

Edge New Member

My GT Jetstream is so comfortable to ride, too bad it may be too tight a fit. I have an old Fuji road bike in the garage. I have to change the handlebars:

Attached Files:

12. TomTom

TomTom New Member

tilted motor mount

I absolutely would not mount the motor tilted like that. You are going destroy the internal moving parts before that transmission goes.. (more than likely). Get another bike, mount the motor level, save your money so that when the transmission blows you can purchase a Qmatic.

13. TomTom

TomTom New Member

I would never mount my motor like that. Your are going to destroy the internal parts of the motor even before the transmission gives it up. Get another bike, save your money, so that when the trans goes out you can buy a Qmatic tranny.

14. Edge

Edge New Member

I did get another bike. Don't you see the motor mounted level on the Fuji 10-speed?

15. InfoCentral

InfoCentral Member

So, do you have a new pic with the handlebars changed?

BTW, I have been thinking of using the Hua Sheng 4 stroke motor for my first build. I hate having to mix the oil and gas. I assume with this being a 4 stroke engine you don't have to do that?

16. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

4 strokes, straight petrol. only stihl makes a four stroke that uses premix fuel. as far as im aware.

4 strokes are very nice but are always an awkward fit, as this thread has suggested.

any brushcutter or stationary engine design is invariably awkward to fit. i myself refuse to use wide offset cranks, so i stick with the HT 2 strokes. its a personal thing. if you get the chance to try a few different versions out, do so!

most fourstroke kits are overgeared and need less reduction...smaller rear sprocket.

with the fuji roadbike for a frame...keep a close eye on the seat stays where they join the seat tube!

if they but up hard like most MTBs, its not such a concern. if theyre bevelled off and only really attached through one tiny little section...BRACE THE JOIN.

you DO NOT WANT seat stays to let go at 50km/h...

in my experience thats the area that fails first with an engine attached.

17. TomTom

TomTom New Member

Looks really good! Man look at all that room!
    Good luck with your build... and happy riding.... Look into the Qmatic if you have problems with the tranny.

more power to you!

18. InfoCentral

InfoCentral Member

I have read where someone recommended just buying an engine for Harbor Freight and bolt that on? I know they are cheep enough but will the drive kits fit these models?

19. Racie35

Racie35 Member

I'm curious what proof you have of that goofy statement seeings how all 4 strokes can be tipped if oiled properly....remember these are splash oiled and only need a mist...me? I know from experience...you're just guessing and pushing a sub par dinosaur design. "Q" what?

20. Edge

Edge New Member

With the new cruiser bars:

Attached Files: