can this bike fit my motor?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bikeguy217, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bikeguy217

bikeguy217 New Member

I am thinking about getting the firmstrong limited shamino beach cruiser. Its got the looks I want and the shape I Want but can it fit my motor? I am getting a 66cc two stroke from biketomoped.com. Its a pretty reliable motor. Used one before on a friends bike. Solid parts to. but the bike is my main concern now. This is the bike here: Urban_Limited_Matt_Black.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

2. bikeguy217

bikeguy217 New Member

I always worry about the chain guard and crank sprocket being to big and getting in the way of the motor during mounting.

3. retromike3

retromike3 Member

tubes look big

the main problem I see is the frame tubes look kind of big to fit the size of mounts you have. Sick bike parts makes a adapter that will fit an oversized tube. That is what I used on my bike and its worked good for me. I did have to double nut my 10mm bolts though.

mike

4. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

That would be a simple fix.
    eliminate the chain gurd, and put a smaller front sprocket on it.
    Probably 10 minutes worth of work and about $15.00 for a smaller front sprocket.
    Of corse, a smaller front sprocket will lower your gearing. making it much easier to pedal.

5. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

6. bikeguy217

bikeguy217 New Member

hm looks like all I would need to do is install the mounting adapter for those large front tubes. I never had to do thait before.Which size drill bit do I need to make the hole fore the center bolt?

7. Al.Fisherman

I myself wouldn't drill for the front mount. Been there done that, cracked the frame. There are vendors, along with myself that sell a bolt on front mount.

8. retromike3

retromike3 Member

tubes look big

the main problem I see is the frame tubes look kind of big to fit the size of mounts you have. Sick bike parts makes a adapter that will fit an oversized tube. That is what I used on my bike and its worked good for me. I did have to double nut my 10mm bolts though.

mike

9. bikeguy217

bikeguy217 New Member

Would you provide me a link to your companies website that sells bolt on adapters? There might be a slim chance that I wouldnt even need an adapter for the front frame tube but it would be good to know a vendor that provides bolt on adapter that doesnt need a hole drilled through the frame to install it. I also want to ask how many links of the chain would i need to remove to not need an idler wheel? i dont want to have a part that can ruin the spokes on my rear wheel. it happened on my last motorized bicycle project when i added to much tension on the chain and I never could figure out the right place for the stupid idler wheel. if you ask me an idler wheel is a flawed idea for motorized bikes. To me they are just another part that could wear out or break.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. retromike3

retromike3 Member

don't drill you will be sorry

I drilled a hole in my seat tube on my first kit and after about fifty miles the frame broke, it looked as though someone had cut the tube with a hacksaw.

The adapter I used I got from Sick Bike Parts( the advertise here) check them out.

mike

11. Al.Fisherman

Hey bikeguy, I don't have a business per say. I'm a member that makes modifications and offer to other members here and on another forum, at a very reasonable price. I'm retired and this gives me something to do in my spare time.

Check me out on MediaFire.........................
    http://www.mediafire.com/?aew1x5euwikidu3

Here are some tips installing these HT engines.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?k14v8jfej4nj434

Thank you
    Ron

12. bikeguy217

bikeguy217 New Member

I'll be in touch with you if I need an adapter for my motored bike project. im still scraping up enough money every week for the bike and a new motor kit. I gotta save arround $500 for everything.

13. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

NO! dont drill the frame!
    get yer self a SPB front frame mount!
    BBB

14. bikeguy217

bikeguy217 New Member

OK so I think I found a bike that can fit for my motor better without modification to the motor mount. beach crusier.jpg so what does everyone think of this cruiser? I like the tires and I can always add a suspension fork and custom fenders. It's sold by a website called bikebuyers.com. those who have bought from them, are they trust worthy for motorization?