Can this part be fabricated?

bikejock

Local time
7:14 PM
I was wondering if there is a company out there that can custom machine a part for me for a 4 stroke build. I want another crank axle adapter like this one:
crank-adapter-jpg.57326

It’s a crank axle adapter that allows the use of the original chainring & bottom bracket bearings so I wont have to resort to using the kit junk. Phantombikes used to sell them but looks like they ditched their parts page years ago & only sell complete bikes now. Shame to, they had some pretty good stuff I was really interested in. They had a battery that mounted on the seat post for lights & stuff I really wanted.

I would want it machined out of solid steel like the original part so it can last. Plus I cant stand using aluminum for a motorized bike build. I try to go with steel parts as much as possible. Who can machine a part like this & how much would it cost?

AS a machinist I would say you are looking at $200.00 minimum at shop rates and that is generous, best bet is to find a local friendly hobbyist machinist.

AS a machinist I would say you are looking at $200.00 minimum at shop rates and that is generous, best bet is to find a local friendly hobbyist machinist.

Wow, $200? Thats about twice what I payed for the part originally.

Really wish Phantombikes still sold parts. Ah well at least I was able to snag one for my cruiser before they stopped selling parts. I guess it was costing them allot more than they were making to machine some of those parts they sold.

Wow, $200? Thats about twice what I payed for the part originally.

Really wish Phantombikes still sold parts. Ah well at least I was able to snag one for my cruiser before they stopped selling parts. I guess it was costing them allot more than they were making to machine some of those parts they sold.
Most of the cost in having a single piece made is in the setup. When you can setup and run 500 pieces the cost is greatly reduced per piece.

Yeah! there is a HUGE difference between mass production and one off fabrication, set up and tooling take many hours and the same for one and a million. OK maybe not a million considering tool wear.

I was wondering if there is a company out there that can custom machine a part for me for a 4 stroke build. I want another crank axle adapter like this one:
crank-adapter-jpg.57326

It’s a crank axle adapter that allows the use of the original chainring & bottom bracket bearings so I wont have to resort to using the kit junk. Phantombikes used to sell them but looks like they ditched their parts page years ago & only sell complete bikes now. Shame to, they had some pretty good stuff I was really interested in. They had a battery that mounted on the seat post for lights & stuff I really wanted.

I would want it machined out of solid steel like the original part so it can last. Plus I cant stand using aluminum for a motorized bike build. I try to go with steel parts as much as possible. Who can machine a part like this & how much would it cost?
From what I see all their bikes use this spindle why dont you contact them(phanom bikes)and see if they will sell you one.You could even say you obtained a used bike from someone and the spindle was damaged and a replacment is needed to get it working again.

Thinking it looks like a standered 3 piece crank with a added sprocket bung, would think it would be easy to do...........Curt

Back