Monark? Issues?

bikeH0rn

Local time
5:26 PM
Nah. No good. Just fitted a monark springer and wondered why it flexed. Increased the pre-tension and it seemed better, then i took it for a test ride, found the tyres a little flat, so i turned around and came home.

When i fitted the front wheel i made sure it was super tight at the axle before taking off.

It has a skewer type axle, being a disk brake 26" mtb wheel and it doesn't have the ability to get very tight before snapping the skewer. Probably the issue here.

Anyway, on the way back down the driveway the front wheel popped out and i ate $h1T. Landed on my guts and winded myself good and proper. I had gloves, helmet, longsleeves and pants on, but my safety tshirt was what saved my fat guts from a decorative scarification.

Have a look at the pictures.

Tell me that fork is fine, and that they used the right grade of steel. Didnt even snap. Build quality always good...
20240302_145346.jpg

Attachments

• 20240302_145346.jpg
    20240302_145346.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240302_144330.jpg
    20240302_144330.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240302_144323.jpg
    20240302_144323.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240302_144315.jpg
    20240302_144315.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 30
Nah. No good. Just fitted a monark springer and wondered why it flexed. Increased the pre-tension and it seemed better, then i took it for a test ride, found the tyres a little flat, so i turned around and came home.

When i fitted the front wheel i made sure it was super tight at the axle before taking off.

It has a skewer type axle, being a disk brake 26" mtb wheel and it doesn't have the ability to get very tight before snapping the skewer. Probably the issue here.

Anyway, on the way back down the driveway the front wheel popped out and i ate $h1T. Landed on my guts and winded myself good and proper. I had gloves, helmet, longsleeves and pants on, but my safety tshirt was what saved my fat guts from a decorative scarification.

Have a look at the pictures.

Tell me that fork is fine, and that they used the right grade of steel. Didnt even snap. Build quality always good...View attachment 209380
You guys need to stop using QR axles on a motorized bike. That fork was not designed for a QR skewer type axle. It needs a solid bolted axle.

I'm glad you are ok. It could of been way worse.

I will say your bike looked good till this incident. Bad thing is it probably bent your wheel & your disc brake rotor. Hopefully not. But I would check it out on a truing stand. Or a old front fork for a truing stand will work too.

I have had that happen to me. When I was younger & healed quicker. I feel the pain.

I dont even know if I would trust a QR skewer axle on a glass smooth track. Like the Olympians race on.

You guys need to stop using QR axles on a motorized bike. That fork was not designed for a QR skewer type axle. It needs a solid bolted axle.

I'm glad you are ok. It could of been way worse.
Yeah, i should have known. I just short cut doing the right thing. Can i replace the hollow skewer axle with a solid? Or do i need a different front hub?

I dress for the crash that i am going to have, not for the weather... so i came up fine. Learned myself a good one.

Look, i did laugh when it happened, after i got over the winding. I was not very happy with the bent forks. I have had nothing but drama with the monark forks. Some bad juju i have to exorcise out of these guys.

I have had that happen to me. When I was younger & healed quicker. I feel the pain.

I dont even know if I would trust a QR skewer axle on a glass smooth track. Like the Olympians race on.
I have trusted them going 60km/h down hill on mtb's and with my cargo bike, but never had this happen. Wont be trusting them again, i dont know why i didnt think "in 1930, they never had a skewer axle"

Back