Carb issues again, come help.

Ok, so, im the one that said adjust them warm, it seems your valves are miss adjusted. I would do .005 on both the intake and the exhuast (cold) the reason it ran fine when it got really hot is that the valve gap expanded (heat expands, so does the valve gap)
Now you say that there are 2 air fuel mix screws? Thst could be the high speed and the low speed mix screw (like a weed wacker)
I would tinker with those after you adjusted the valves (keep in mind, when you tighten them, recheck as the gap could of changed)
Also that black screw is the idle adjustment screw, it adjusts your idle ;)
Good luck!
Heat expands the steel, not the air between the rocker and the stem. for the gap to get larger under heat the steel would have to shrink.

Heat expands the steel, not the air between the rocker and the stem. for the gap to get larger under heat the steel would have to shrink.
Heat does EXPAND the air between the rocker and the stem, just doesn't affect the valve adjustment at all.

haha yeah but reason for lash is to provide adequate clearance as the metal expands, but not limit it's travel and not too much play.

umm just a question, how many hours/miles on the motor? this is odd, but did you remove the pushrods and lifters? each has been with it's partner since new, worn in its position

Heat does EXPAND the air between the rocker and the stem, just doesn't affect the valve adjustment at all.
Damit Darwin heat expands everything , but I'm thinkin that the effect of the expanded air between the f***in rocker and the stem might not be the issue in the aformentioned valve lash. God bless me if I got to go into the strength of elemental bonds cause I can barely write the sentance let alone defend it. One of these days, POW right to the moon.

Last edited:
Damit Darwin heat expands everything , but I'm thinkin that the effect of the expanded air between the f***in rocker and the stem might not be the issue in the aformentioned valve lash. God bless me if I got to go into the strength of elemental bonds cause I can barely write the sentance let alone defend it. One of these days, POW right to the moon.
Being a smartass is one of my character defects I've never wanted to improve upon, carry on!

I can NOT get this (insert a slew of scary bad cuss words here.) BIKE GOING!!!!!

So first off, not sure if I found TDC. Put my straw in the spark plug hole, it goes up, it goes down. Up and down. Seems identical to me and I cannot see into the motor.
JUST saw the latest posts here about hard to pull.... But honest, just did this and did not notice any point where it was harder or not.
So it's quite possible the valves are still not right. And holy crap is it hard to get it adjusted in just the right spot THEN tighten it all without over tightening or loosening it. Doesn't help that my only small enough screw driver has a long shaft and it doesn't quite fit under the gas tank. I only catch the screw slot with a corner of the thing. (With a flashlight in my mouth, ceiling lights don't do ANY good for this. Gauge balanced in there, barely.) I'll never be a mechanic that's for sure. But no one else can do this but me. So struggle on I shall. (I have to say I HATE this 4 stroke motor. I put several thousand miles on my old 2 stroke and it never gave me so many fits. Needed one ring job and back then I had a really great mechanic right across the street. By the time it needed rings again I took a spill, it would not engage (would start just not do anything. Then I thought, ah, I'll UPgrade. What a nightmare this has been.)

SO I just went out and took it apart again. Slowly pull.... up down up down..... I cannot feel ANY difference what so ever in "hard to pull on the compression stroke."

So is there any other way to tell?

Also... smelling gas this time.... not sure if all my pulling trying to start it flooded it, or pulling without the spark plug repeatedly.

I think I better walk away from this tonight. Will leave it apart. Hoping for some guidance. Again.

Oh, maybe this.... at one point I thought I felt puffs of air, not sure from where though. Is this something that could clue me in to finding TDC?
Had the fan on the first time trying so never noticed.

Back