Carb Rebuild Gasket Logic Puzzle Walbro

Local time
11:50 PM
So here is the rebuild kit:K10-WAT. (NOTE:This kit also came with a fuel needle, metering assembly pin and lever, a little fuel screen, and some other items that are not part of my carb and must be for the other model carby this pack services....)

My questions are the following...look at the pictures I have attached. In one you will see my Walbro wa-167a performance carb. I have pulled it apart to rebuild and in the rebuild kit along with the gaskets, ect. were 2 little shiny silver plug looking things that resemble the 2 plugs i have in the metering portion of the carb. (The side the primer bubble is on.) I have not figured out how to remove them and figure they do not come out...

1) Do you think those little plugs come out? If yes, how would you propose I get them out of where they are currently seated? What are their proposed function?

OK. NOW...

Look at the other picture I have attached...In the top part of the picture you will see two gaskets. These gaskets came stock and have not ever been replaced in the 6 years i have owned this carb.

They are all one piece gaskets. Nice and thick.

Below them you will see the gaskets included in the rebuild kit. There were other shapes I deemed to be part of the "other" carb this rebuild kit also services.

In order of appearance from top row first left to right:
Flimsy diaphram gasket, thicker outer diaphram gasket.
Flimsy mesh gasket, thicker gasket, flimsy blue transparent plastic gasket, flimsy rubber gasket.

My best guess is that these gaskets go on top of each to become part of a "whole" gasket. They seem to have different functions and are all pretty much the same, but each one is just a little different.

1) In what order would you propose these gaskets go on top of each other?

I wish this rebuild kit had one piece gaskets like what came on it stock....

Almost done and want to go for a ride...can anyone suggest anything? Based on the thickness and construction of these little gaskets I guess I will only have 1 shot with it....gotta at least get it right....

Attachments

• Carb and Replacement Plugs.jpg
    Carb and Replacement Plugs.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 487
  • Gaskets Metering and Pump.jpg
    Gaskets Metering and Pump.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Why are you rebuilding the carb, was it leaking or improperly operating? The plugs you are referring to are called "Welch plugs" and cover fuel passages bored in the carb body. If the carb needs to be cleaned (improper operation), these plugs will need to come out. I carefully drill a small hole in the plug to accept a small punch and pry them out. They are reinstalled by peening them in place by flattening them with a punch and hammer, again carefully.

As to what goes where, see if this helps.

http://wem.walbro.com/walbro/product2.asp?Series=WA&partnum=WA%2D167%2D1

Welch Plugs

Thanks for your help, the diagram is helpful in figuring out that pattern.

As for the welch plugs and drilling into them..... is the tolerance deep enough to get those drilled to be pryed out, I was reading if that surface in the hole is scuffed up or scratched, the next plug wont get a good seal (just my luck)

Is it really that big of a deal if I just leave em?

I think the problem was the diaphram sticking and as a result my carb was vomiting fuel out the gaskets and carb,

I think after I put the gaskets back together it should be good....hopefullly.....

Mb.com Rocks!!!!

Your carb has an internal fuel pump, with a tank return line. It is designed to work with a sealed tank, that has a check valve in the cap, that allows air to enter as the fuel level drops. The check valve will allow pressure to build up inside the tank as ambient temperature rises. If the pressure gets too high, it can force fuel past the metering valve and it will leak out. Don't know if that could be your problem but the solution is to leave the cap loose while storing in a hot environment.

As to the plug, a small hole is drilled in the center but you must be careful to only penetrate the plug and not to drill into the carb. If you don't believe your fuel circuit is plugged, I wouldn't bother removing the plugs.

Back