Chain Lube

What do you use to clean the chain? I use simple green on my bike.

i'v always liked to use diesel for solvent it cleans well and leavs a oily resedu altho reding these few post here mabey it wil do the same as wd-40 and penetrate where it should'nt... hmm any thougths

Cleaning, Storing and Lubricating Chains

I store all my used chains in a giant peanut butter jar (we eat lots of peanut butter 'round here) filled with used motor oil I drain from my pick-up truck. Used motor oil contains sulfuric acid (byproduct of combustion) which if given enough time will loosen rust and remove some of it from old chains. As a matter of fact: The biggest reason we change oil is because the damage sulfuric acid does to crank and rod bearings is usually worse than any grit that might be in the oil. Old oil literally eats bearings out of engines.

For cleaning chains I use rags and a wire brush but any strong soap and water wash will be okay as long as you immediately dry and lubricate the chain.

For lubrication I buy what they recommend at my local motorcycle shop. Harley, Honda, Yamaha... they all carry several different brands and there's not much difference between them. Chain lubes stick to chains better than motor oils and lubricate better than gear lubes. Buy whichever brand is on sale this month.

Like someone said above: CRC 556, WD 40 and other similar products can damage chains because they wash all the chain lube out of the chain.

And for the guy mixing chain saw chain oil and gear lube-- just use the chain saw lube straight as it's pretty much the same thing as motorcycle chain lube and save your gear lube for your transmission. :cool:

Biodegradable Grease

Biodegradable Grease may be the way to go ,first thing is that it is clean ,i use it everywhere ,and us mb riders take pride in burning little gas to go far ,so save the oil at the same time and use biodegradable grease ,biodegradable gear oil, ,, save the planet that part of out motto is it not ?? the more support we get from the public ,the more chance we have to keep our mb legal ..

and if you question how good is biodegradable products , ?????? if it is good enough for the u.s. army its good enough for me ,

A) TENCIOUS LUBRICATING FILMS.
(B) RESISTS HIGH SHOCK LOADS.
(C) EXCELLENT WATER SEAL.
(D) RESISTS WATER WASHOUT.
(E) PREVENTS RUST AND CORROSIONS.
(F) WIDE OPERATING TEMERATURE RANGES.

the more you read about it ,,the more you like it . yes if you don"t use it to grease your chain ,,you can use it for chip dip ,use it in place of butter ,or use it to fry eggs , everyone should carry a tube on their mb
japat

Last edited by a moderator:
Japat,
I think you are correct. The biodegradable grease is probably a real good idea for most situations. It may well exceed the performance of petroleum based products. But I flashed on riding through bear country with bacon grease on my chain. I'm going to have to pass on that one.

yes i should have made a warning ,, i know black bears like it i came back from fishing down river 3 years ago ,and i had vegetable oil on my seat ,the bear ate the seat on my Honda , and it was a tough drive home with no seat,,i am still sore

now i have no knowledge about poler bears in Alaska only what i read ,but i hear they will eat the bike plus the driver with or without oil.,,, and the only thing they spit out after a meal of such is the studs in the tires
japat

Chain

I clean mine off with carosine and a tooth brush. Then put a small drop of oil really thin oil like sewing machine oil on each little pivote point where the links come togethe.r

I certainly don't use WD-40 on my chain. I use kerosene to clean my chain. If you don't know why kerosene is preferred over WD-40 then 'Google' it.

so 2 polar bears are hovering over a hole in the top of an igloo...one is saying to the
other "yaknow, ya gotta love these things. crunchy coating, chewy center..."

oops, sorry...on-topic...we got the wierdest fine-grained sand up here, it gets into everything but turns to dust & blows away when it dries...too much of any lube gives me a slurry that feels & sounds like lapping compound. i've been running a pretty dry chain, just a light dripping of 3-in-1 now and then, more to clean it than to lube it.

after and before every ride i use wd-40 and 1nc a month i take my grandpas oil in a can (i dont know what the he*l it is but it comes out looking almost as clear as veggie oil lol its in this can with a thumb pump on the side) and oil both chains and the derailurs that seems to work for me ive beeen doing this since i was 6 and i havent had a speck of rust yet... on the bike chain any way i havent had enough time to accumlate rust on my engine chain

You're correct Norman. If in fact, they're not O ring chains, WD-40 will do nothing to harm the chain. The chains would be much more expensive if they were the motorcyle type O ring version. I was able to get over 23k miles out of the orignal chain on my Honda VFR, and the book said to use either gear lube or Honda chain lube. I found that gear lube stuck the best and was easy to clean/wipe off and re-apply. Due these chains running faster than a bicycle chain, IMO, a bicycle lube is not appropriate. A motorcycle lube would be better. They have 'dry' versions such as chain wax and they have others like Bel-Ray that is foaming and has moly in it. I used kerosene to wipe it down and lubed with one of these lubes or gear oil. Gear oil turned out to be my favored choice. Like anything related to lubes, the discussion quickly turns to an almost religious type discussion like I've seen on all moto related forms: syntheic vs. dino et. al. LOL. --John

Back