Chain

Do most people use the 415 chain that comes with the kits? I need to get another chain. Where is the best place to get it from?
I think it somewhat comes down to the kit source as to the quality of the original chain. ZTMoto engine kits come with a decent quality 415h chain that I have always had good luck with.

Most cheaper kits come with unsurprisingly cheap chain.

In either case, a lot of them tend to come very dry so I usually give them a warm gear oil bath.

There is a store on Amazon called the Jeremywell Store that sells bulk length of Unibear branded standard chain. Unibear is a Chinese brand, but they are actually decent quality chains that are also quite popular in the Chinese dual sport community. I replace my kit chains with this particular brand.

He sells 10ft/240 Link and 50ft/1200 Link options. Or, roughly enough for 2 bikes or 10 bikes respectively.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I think it somewhat comes down to the kit source as to the quality of the original chain. ZTMoto engine kits come with a decent quality 415h chain that I have always had good luck with.

Most cheaper kits come with unsurprisingly cheap chain.

In either case, a lot of them tend to come very dry so I usually give them a warm gear oil bath.

There is a store on Amazon called the Jeremywell Store that sells bulk length of Unibear branded standard chain. Unibear is a Chinese brand, but they are actually decent quality chains that are also quite popular in the Chinese dual sport community. I replace my kit chains with this particular brand.

He sells 10ft/240 Link and 50ft/1200 Link options. Or, roughly enough for 2 bikes or 10 bikes respectively.
Is the 415h bigger than the 415? Just curious for clearance issues

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It depends a bit on the chain manufacturer. As a general rule of thumb they are the same size in ever way, but will either have fractionally larger plate thickness (barely perceptible visually) or made out of slightly higher tensile strength steel. Some just box both with the same chain. Get a high quality name brand chain and you should be fine. You get what you pay for.

If you are looking for something stronger then the next step up would be a 41 chain, but that will require different sprockets.

It depends a bit on the chain manufacturer. As a general rule of thumb they are the same size in ever way, but will either have fractionally larger plate thickness (barely perceptible visually) or made out of slightly higher tensile strength steel. Some just box both with the same chain. Get a high quality name brand chain and you should be fine. You get what you pay for.

If you are looking for something stronger then the next step up would be a 41 chain, but that will require different sprockets.
The guy at my local small motor sales and repair shop tells me that the "H" actually stands for "Hardened" as in hardened steel etc.

When he saw the Chinesium chain that said 415H right on it that I had that I just didn't want to use and ordered a decent chain from him, he looked it over real well including with a magnifying glass and told me even though it said H as in hardened, They lied...I now know to never use a Cheap Chinesium chain again, even though I have gotten many years out of them, I would much rather have quality.

The 415 I have now has much better clearance through the front sprocket housing than the Chinesium chains have ever had too and it rides better in the sprockets.

The guy at my local small motor sales and repair shop tells me that the "H" actually stands for "Hardened" as in hardened steel etc.

When he saw the Chinesium chain that said 415H right on it that I had that I just didn't want to use and ordered a decent chain from him, he looked it over real well including with a magnifying glass and told me even though it said H as in hardened, They lied...I now know to never use a Cheap Chinesium chain again, even though I have gotten many years out of them, I would much rather have quality.

The 415 I have now has much better clearance through the front sprocket housing than the Chinesium chains have ever had too and it rides better in the sprockets.
That can also make sense. Most other chains with the H designation tend to have a higher tensile strength. Possibly achieved through heat treating. I would imagine there is more to it than simply being hardened though. The links, pins and rollers all likely go through a hardening and temper process, each slightly different from the other, to achieve their results.

That can also make sense. Most other chains with the H designation tend to have a higher tensile strength. Possibly achieved through heat treating. I would imagine there is more to it than simply being hardened though. The links, pins and rollers all likely go through a hardening and temper process, each slightly different from the other, to achieve their results.
I just know that there is quite the visual difference in the new chain, it even feels different, like real metal, not "Chinesium"...lol.

Back