Chain on making a popping sound

graggy

Local time
6:54 AM
Put my chain on and have it pretty snug but not overly. I took a wire tie and pulled my clutch lever over enough and fastened it to release the clutch so I can spin the back tire Without the engine turning. I thought about taking it for a small test ride peddling to see if the engine chain stays on and how it acts. Is this a good idea?

Attachments

• IMG_1321.jpeg
    IMG_1321.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1320.jpeg
    IMG_1320.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1319.jpeg
    IMG_1319.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 67
Put my chain on and have it pretty snug but not overly. I took a wire tie and pulled my clutch lever over enough and fastened it to release the clutch so I can spin the back tire Without the engine turning. I thought about taking it for a small test ride peddling to see if the engine chain stays on and how it acts. Is this a good idea?
Get some chainlube on that chain before you do that...It looks pretty dry to me at the moment.

Get some chainlube on that chain before you do that...It looks pretty dry to me at the moment.
Yea I haven’t put anything on it yet. That will probably help it some also. Thanks! This is how I pulled the clutch lever to hold it open. I will put another tie on it so it doesn’t pop off and engage the clutch. The engine has never been turned over yet so it’s dry and I don’t want the piston and rings to just moving in the dry cylinder. Any certain lube you use for your chain?

Attachments

• IMG_1329.jpeg
    IMG_1329.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1327.jpeg
    IMG_1327.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 79
Yea I haven’t put anything on it yet. That will probably help it some also. Thanks! This is how I pulled the clutch lever to hold it open. I will put another tie on it so it doesn’t pop off and engage the clutch. The engine has never been turned over yet so it’s dry and I don’t want the piston and rings to just moving in the dry cylinder. Any certain lube you use for your chain?
I've been using my full synthetic 2 cycle oil for years now with my chains, I put it into one of those squeeze ketchup bottles like you see in some restaurants, you can get them at Wally World...lol, to just add oil to the chain periodically...I do take it off twice a year to soak it in WD-40 to clean it all off and then soak it over night in the synthetic oil though, as it seems to prolong its life even with the El-Cheapo Chinesium chains...Anything is always better than nothing though.

I've been using my full synthetic 2 cycle oil for years now with my chains, I put it into one of those squeeze ketchup bottles like you see in some restaurants, you can get them at Wally World...lol, to just add oil to the chain periodically...I do take it off twice a year to soak it in WD-40 to clean it all off and then soak it over night in the synthetic oil though, as it seems to prolong its life even with the El-Cheapo Chinesium chains...Anything is always better than nothing though.
impulse rocket told me that he likes these chains. Do you think it would be good to put on before I run it or should the chinesium chain be ok to start with?

Attachments

• IMG_2891.png
    IMG_2891.png
    475.3 KB · Views: 69
impulse rocket told me that he likes these chains. Do you think it would be good to put on before I run it or should the chinesium chain be ok to start with?
It'll be OK to start with, but I agree wholeheartedly with Rocket to get the better quality chain for your bike as soon as you can do so...No substitute for quality...lol.

Good old fashioned gear oil is a great chain lube too.

As for chain popping - too tight of a chain on slightly misaligned sprocket setup. To my eyes your current chain tension is too tight. You will want to have about a quarter to half an inch of deflection on the bottom part of the chain in the center of the run between the tension wheel and front sprocket, set at the tightest spot in the chain.

Good old fashioned gear oil is a great chain lube too.

As for chain popping - too tight of a chain on slightly misaligned sprocket setup. To my eyes your current chain tension is too tight. You will want to have about a quarter to half an inch of deflection on the bottom part of the chain in the center of the run between the tension wheel and front sprocket, set at the tightest spot in the chain.
Thanks I loosened it up a little and it works a lot better

This is what I did to my chain... made a huge difference. Though it is still throwing off oil after 75 miles and drips a little puddle at the end of the ride each time.

Summer weight chain saw chain oil works well. Paint it on with a 1/2 chip brush and wipe the excess off. I am sure there are better chain lubes but you can't beat the price.

Back