Chains Chain rubbing tire

I run a 2.125 tire and it barely clears the tire, but it does. I use rear axle tugs (axle tensioners) to align and put tension on the wheel/chain, then I can tighten down the axle bolts. It used to take two people to align and tighten the back tire before, but not any more! My chain has not come off since this install. Plus, it did solve my chain rub issue. I don't use the chain tensioner that came with the kit. I don't use one at all... I did purchase a good #415 chain, which helps alot (not much stretch, after several rides).
Smaller tire would be the answer, but axle tugs will allow you to adjust the rear wheel (left, or right) a little, so maybe it will clear with the bigger tire... They are sold for single speed track bikes and BMX racing.
Good luck

I like my 26x1.75 bell no-mor flats tire setup

I'm running a bell no-mor flat setup little heavy, hard to install but.. ,clears the chain .no mor flats ....how long it will last?

I'm working on the same problem...chain rub that is. So far I have welded 1/4 inch square blocks to the inside of the coaster brake arm, then using longer bolts moved the sprocket outboard 1/4 inch. put the longer bolts thru the sprocket, then run down a nut right against the sprocket, now install the sprocket thru thru the metal plate and rag joint. I figured I would gain 1/4 inch and now clear the tire. Wrong! i got the 1/4 inch but the chain is still to close. I know others have built this type of bike but I've yet to figure out how. The above procedure does help. I should mention the square blocks must be lined up with the flats on the brake arm. This allows you to move the brake arm out and maintain braking. I'll keep after this till I come up with a cure or until somebody replies with one.

Back