cheapo Chinese tank leaky like sieve!!

only reason i suggest solder is because you have had fuel in the tank already. doesnt need application of a flame or ignition source. the washer adds reinforcement, and galvanized ones just tin up better. can save on flux by just using HCL. (zinc n muriatic = flux)

its always possible to wash em out, purge them with exhaust or inert gas. then braze, weld, whatever. some people dont think that far ahead... boom! (experience has taught me about performing the leak test first!)

what amazes me is never having had an issue with the seam.

:)

Ya I figured braze would be more durable,but if you've had luck with spider I'll give a shot.galvy washer is a good idea you can get some material in there. What kind of solder you use

Tank itself is OK,its the cheesy studs not being attached to gussetted area on the tank

to repair a tank

first remove the bad stud and drill a hole in the tank at that spot

run a length of safety wire thru the hole & out the filler neck

put a steel washer, then a thick neoprene washer on a bolt, then attach the wire to the bolt & pull it thru the tank & out the hole

put another neoprene washer on the bolt & another steel washer, then thread a nut onto the bolt

now, double nut the end of the bolt so you can keep it from turning as you tighten the nut near the washers

remove the double nuts and you're done with your repair

I'd rather just buy a new tank tho and handle more carefully to prevent leaks

Thanks for the info,but I'm gonna try solder 1st if that doesn't work I'll try your suggestion

* Real * motorcycles have elaborate tank mounts. The crappy tank that comes with kits leaves a few things a builder can do to increase reliability. The trick is to do the hot metalwork first, before the tank sees paint, or gas. Brazing the studs is smart, lead would be fine too. Heat metal, let cool, get in with wire brush and clean seam between stud and tank before brazing / soldering .
Many builders give the tank seam a rub with JB weld, both as a sealer, and as a way to beautify seam . Simply filling the void between the stud, and the tank with JB Weld, is way better than nothing. For Mounting, I brazed the front tank mount, leaving the rear a strap on for easy service. My first bike had a nasty habit of the tank turning sideways, hence the welded mount. Small engine Air Cleaner Grommits [ sp ? ] have rubber bonded to a steel washer, fit stud, look very cool . Yes, don't over tighten studs, a squirt of paint will keep them from backing off.

Back